Sonic Electronix

2018 golf R - upgrading "Premium" fender audio system

2 hours ago, BboyTaktix said:

Cool - thanks again for the help.

thet sub looks like a pretty solid choice - mounting depth could work, plenty of power (probably more than I need) and comes to about $415 tax and shipping included. Sealed enclosure size is also right there at 0.8-1.0cu.ft - I would make a new box that is a bit longer on the sides, to leave some room to mount the amps above the box but under the floor still (right behind where the back seats are) for a 100% stealth build. I’ll probably wait a few weeks though since our wedding reception is coming up (finally after all this COVID mess) and, well, that ain’t cheap even with only around 40ppl on the list LoL 

one other question - still looking into cost effective rear replacements but found some options at the 50-75wRMs range. What I am wondering is if I could tap into the OEM wire harness from the stock amp (which will be removed) that goes to the door speakers, as opposed to passing new wire through to front and rear door speakers? At what point do the OEM speaker wires become too small? With the stock fender system, it was putting out a “claimed” 480watts (probably not RMs) but wires are sized decently - enough for up to 80-100w rms in the front JBL components though? It would save me a ton of time and make it much easier to go back to stock. 

Do you know what gauge they are? I mean, if you look at them and they're not excessively tiny, I don't think it would hurt anything. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Do you know what gauge they are? I mean, if you look at them and they're not excessively tiny, I don't think it would hurt anything. 

Not sure but I’ll measure them with my calliper and try to get an idea of gauge. Since it’s such a short distance from the amp to the speakers (amp is under driver seat) I am also thinking the wiring should be sufficient for everyday use and the power I will be running. 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

43 minutes ago, BboyTaktix said:

Not sure but I’ll measure them with my calliper and try to get an idea of gauge. Since it’s such a short distance from the amp to the speakers (amp is under driver seat) I am also thinking the wiring should be sufficient for everyday use and the power I will be running. 

Yeah, it should be fine. As long as you don't look at them and say to yourself "man, those wires are tiny!" In sure they'll be sufficient

27 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, it should be fine. As long as you don't look at them and say to yourself "man, those wires are tiny!" In sure they'll be sufficient

Awesome - so yesterday I ordered 36 square feet of soundproofing sheets for the trunk and two front doors, as well as closed cel foam and fabric tape to wrap all OEM wiring in doors to ensure no rattling. Going to also order the foam ring kit for front and rear of door speakers to get the most midbass possible out of them. Might actually start by installing front door components running off OEM amp for now, then once I get th sub and wiring kit in a few weeks, continue the build by je talking the amps, sub box and subs to complete it all. Very exciting. 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

25 minutes ago, BboyTaktix said:

Awesome - so yesterday I ordered 36 square feet of soundproofing sheets for the trunk and two front doors, as well as closed cel foam and fabric tape to wrap all OEM wiring in doors to ensure no rattling. Going to also order the foam ring kit for front and rear of door speakers to get the most midbass possible out of them. Might actually start by installing front door components running off OEM amp for now, then once I get th sub and wiring kit in a few weeks, continue the build by je talking the amps, sub box and subs to complete it all. Very exciting. 

Sounds like a plan! 

Ok so, removed my Rockford R2SD2 sub from the trunk and  did some measuring this weekend, there are a couple of issues.

1) With the size of the clarion, I would most likely have to install the LC2I elsewhere than the trunk (maybe glove compartment up front?) see photo 1 - I’ll also need some clearance for the wiring going into the amps. the space in front of the amps gives me exactly enough for a 1ft cubed internal airspace box. Box size I measured out using 3/4inch MDF:

39-1/4 width

4-1/4 tall

17” deep

2) OEM amp is placed under drivers seat (see picture 2) this is literally a perfect fit for my crossovers once the OEM amp is removed. Not really an issue just thought I’d share.

3) the sundown audio sub will cause me a few issues in keeping this build stealth. It’s just a tad too high for what I want to do. no matter how I would build the box, there just isn’t enough depth to make it clean and have false floor hiding it underneath. So I did some more research and stumbled again upon JBL - from past experience I’ve always enjoyed their products even through you often pay a bit more for less overall performance as compared to less known and more hardcore brands like DC, sundown, etc. I was thinking - two 10’’ JBL WS1000 shallow mount subs would give me slightly more cone area versus a single 12 and they are adjustable between 2 and 4ohms. Could run them in parallel for a 4ohm load off my clarion and should bump pretty good at 200w RMS each or 400RMS total. Price is good to as I could get both of them for almost same price as the sundown 12” would cost me. Thoughts? 

note: excuse dirty car - it’s actually pretty spotless besides underneath the the trunk floor - seriously no idea how that rice got under there lmao 

079E909F-B472-4CD6-A3AC-97BF98F2619F.jpeg

6CD28853-5895-4E8E-8CB8-1C7A7F91F04D.jpeg

1 hour ago, BboyTaktix said:

Ok so, removed my Rockford R2SD2 sub from the trunk and  did some measuring this weekend, there are a couple of issues.

1) With the size of the clarion, I would most likely have to install the LC2I elsewhere than the trunk (maybe glove compartment up front?) see photo 1 - I’ll also need some clearance for the wiring going into the amps. the space in front of the amps gives me exactly enough for a 1ft cubed internal airspace box. Box size I measured out using 3/4inch MDF:

39-1/4 width

4-1/4 tall

17” deep

2) OEM amp is placed under drivers seat (see picture 2) this is literally a perfect fit for my crossovers once the OEM amp is removed. Not really an issue just thought I’d share.

3) the sundown audio sub will cause me a few issues in keeping this build stealth. It’s just a tad too high for what I want to do. no matter how I would build the box, there just isn’t enough depth to make it clean and have false floor hiding it underneath. So I did some more research and stumbled again upon JBL - from past experience I’ve always enjoyed their products even through you often pay a bit more for less overall performance as compared to less known and more hardcore brands like DC, sundown, etc. I was thinking - two 10’’ JBL WS1000 shallow mount subs would give me slightly more cone area versus a single 12 and they are adjustable between 2 and 4ohms. Could run them in parallel for a 4ohm load off my clarion and should bump pretty good at 200w RMS each or 400RMS total. Price is good to as I could get both of them for almost same price as the sundown 12” would cost me. Thoughts? 

note: excuse dirty car - it’s actually pretty spotless besides underneath the the trunk floor - seriously no idea how that rice got under there lmao 

079E909F-B472-4CD6-A3AC-97BF98F2619F.jpeg

6CD28853-5895-4E8E-8CB8-1C7A7F91F04D.jpeg

Sounds like a plan to me. Hey, if the Sundown doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Two 10's should do you well though. Should be a little more than the 12 you just took out. 

Do a build log. This sounds like a cool little stealth install

4 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Sounds like a plan to me. Hey, if the Sundown doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Two 10's should do you well though. Should be a little more than the 12 you just took out. 

Do a build log. This sounds like a cool little stealth install

Will definitely start a build log!  I’m still undecided between 2x 200-250w RMS ten inch subs (ie the JBL or other shallow mount), versus 1x 400w RMS 12-inch sub (ie Rockford P3SD2-12) - I figure they would get similarly loud, the P3 probably take a little more beating vs the less powerful 10” which have a bit more come but more careful power wise. 

Oh and another question: would it be more beneficial with two 10’s to separate the box so they each have their own 0.5cu.ft airspace in the box, or just keep the box open inside? 

1 hour ago, BboyTaktix said:

Will definitely start a build log!  I’m still undecided between 2x 200-250w RMS ten inch subs (ie the JBL or other shallow mount), versus 1x 400w RMS 12-inch sub (ie Rockford P3SD2-12) - I figure they would get similarly loud, the P3 probably take a little more beating vs the less powerful 10” which have a bit more come but more careful power wise. 

Really, I think either will preform about the same. You'd either be sending about 400 watts to two 10's or a single 12. I think if I had to choose, I think it's go two 10's.

Go ahead and put them both in the same chamber. No need to isolate them from each other

Archived