Sonic Electronix

2018 golf R - upgrading "Premium" fender audio system

3 hours ago, BboyTaktix said:

OK let me try my best to explain through text - hard without demonstrating. 

So I did these "Grooves" before I attached the top. Basically I took a straight spare piece of MDF and clamped it tot he piece. I used a straight router bit (the one that cuts on the top and no bearing), adjusted it to cut at about 3/16in depth,  and used my router loose, using the spare straight spare piece of MDF as a guide for my router's base plate. Once I made one groove all the way along the furthest in, I then moved the straight spare piece a little bit out towards the edge, and then repeated the process. The passes got shorter and shorter as the piece was already curved from before. 

Hopefully that makes sense to you!

Yeah, that makes sense. Using the bit I use to cut circles with the circle jig, use a straight edge against the router base to set your straight line, then go up and down making a comb almost, then back and forth taking them off. Correct? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Using the bit I use to cut circles with the circle jig, use a straight edge against the router base to set your straight line, then go up and down making a comb almost, then back and forth taking them off. Correct? 

Yea for sure that would work. I used a larger/wider bit, but your method would work, it would just take more passes to get the width. 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Got some wiring done yesterday but no time for photos ( I am renovating a full kitchen in one of our rental units in tandem with this audio project )

I did my rounds Monday night - went and picked up my NavTV zen-V that I ordered, then to Home Depot to get longer 10-24 bolts for my mini fuse panel to attach to the amp rack, then to electronics store for a few little missing items such as more shorter RCA (3-foot was sufficient for all amps, the 6 foot I got initially were too long).

Ran all my signal cables (RCA's) and attached via zip ties to amp rack - the subwoofer RCA's will stay loose about halfway to go up to top rack and connect to DSP. I may attach them to top rack but leave some slack in the middle so I can slide top amp rack out of the way.

Waiting on proper 8-gauge wire I ordered since I am not too happy with the stuff I got a few weeks ago - it is very rigid versus the other power wires (knukonceptz and Crutchfield).

Also waiting on some ferrules for the 8-gauge - LITERALLY the only size ferrule I don't have in either of my ferrule kits! annoying!!! lol.

Right now I cannot find any OFC 4-gauge wire (looks to be scarce at the moment) unless I buy a whole kit which is silly for just a few feet. I have a bunch of leftover CCA 4-gauge from previous builds, it will have to do as I only need about 3-feet power and 3-feet ground in 4-gauge, IF that.

image.gif

image.gif

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Turns out the old 4-gauge wire I had from previous builds was in fact OFC, the oldschool type I suppose not tinned;

img_0862-jpeg.319190

img_0861-jpeg.319191

Proceeded to add the 4-ch amp power and ground wires to the distribution blocks - the other ends are loose until I get to the point of installing the two levels into the car - I left enough slack so I could easily slide out the upper amp rack forward onto the seats for ease of access, tuning, etc. Just missing the 8-ga wire and ferrules which should come in tomorrow

img_0863-jpeg.319192

Now, concerning remote turn-on signal...

The NavTV Zen-V has a remote turn-on sensing from the MOST fiber. This in turn should also activate the Zapco via the optical cable (I hope), At least this is what the Zapco instructions alluded to)

I am wondering if I can get away with taking the Zapco remote turn-on output and simply split three ways to the three amps, or if most people put a relay in between to play it safe? I bought a relay Monday (you can see it on my photo above of the amp rack) but it is a normally closed relay which isn't right, I would need Normally Open (which would mean as soon as power/signal input, it closes the circuit and sends power to the rest of the remote wires).

44 minutes ago, BboyTaktix said:

Proceeded to add the 4-ch amp power and ground wires to the distribution blocks - the other ends are loose until I get to the point of installing the two levels into the car - I left enough slack so I could easily slide out the upper amp rack forward onto the seats for ease of access, tuning, etc. Just missing the 8-ga wire and ferrules which should come in tomorrow

img_0863-jpeg.319192

That amp rack already looks like it's going to be clean as hell! 

40 minutes ago, BboyTaktix said:

Now, concerning remote turn-on signal...

The NavTV Zen-V has a remote turn-on sensing from the MOST fiber. This in turn should also activate the Zapco via the optical cable (I hope), At least this is what the Zapco instructions alluded to)

I am wondering if I can get away with taking the Zapco remote turn-on output and simply split three ways to the three amps, or if most people put a relay in between to play it safe? I bought a relay Monday (you can see it on my photo above of the amp rack) but it is a normally closed relay which isn't right, I would need Normally Open (which would mean as soon as power/signal input, it closes the circuit and sends power to the rest of the remote wires).

I've always used a relay.... but then again.... I'm that guy who will use a relay for just 2 amps🤣 so maybe don't listen to me lol

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Lol thanks Dafaseles, 

I will take a look at the Zapco - I know it suggests using a relay if more than 1 amp to remote turn-on, I am going to see what its maximum remote turn-on amperage is, I know the Zen-V remote turn-on is 500mA but in most of the research I did, ppl said use the DSP to remote turn on the amps and not the Nav TV if possible. I still have to find out if the nav TV optical signal is enough to turn the Zapco on. 

OK so I figured out what I will need to do - the DSP will not turn on just with optical signal, only if it was speaker level inputs (see below from Zapco instructions). So, I will use the NavTV zen-V remote output to feed the Zapco remote in (red wire), and then use the Zapco remote out (blue wire) to go to a Bosch relay and power up the three amps. Boom!

image.thumb.png.ceb6aee79921416d124c3741f768c004.png

Found the exact relay I needed in my old electrical box. Yay! Wired it up the power and ground, as well as a small terminal block that will split the remote turn-on signal to the three amps to keep it super clean. No photos yet, will take a photo once I finish the 8-gauge wire runs, which should arrive today in the mail (I hope!). Also tested the relay on the car battery (I put pos neg on battery then put the relay activation on positive terminal, heard it click and saw voltage readings on my terminal block) - SUCCESS! ready to wire them to amps.

Afterwards, I hooked up my Knukonceptz terminal tot he battery along with the post, so I could retain factory connector on VW positive battery side. It's all good and tight and as clean as I can get it considering the circumstances (I really didn't want to cut the factory mounting ring off). 

Here are some finished photos (note - fuses not in the fuse holder until whole system is complete and ready for install)

IMG_0865.thumb.JPEG.84d378b1b36273ad02e0d2ef5bcbd0ea.JPEG

IMG_0868.thumb.JPEG.3069dde05839400041664e6a03c34c6e.JPEGIMG_0869.thumb.JPEG.22123b61c9695e96a450713930fcbffb.JPEG

Once again don't mind the dirty engine bay - it is definitely due a cleaning - winter here now and it will get dirty again for sure in short time!

Archived