2012 Nissan Titan big 3

Curious if anyone on this forum has done big 3 on titan as there is a regulator the ground cable runs through to the alternator haven’t had much luck getting answers I’m putting in a 390amp alt and it requires big 3 .  Can I just bypass it/ do a 2nd run/ or can I squeeze a 0gauge with maybe dremel  work without damaging.   anything will be helpful at this point I’m sure someone has worked around this before.  There is a video on YouTube they used a 2gauge attached file is the screenshot of the video

21A08A51-E7B6-4BF0-8B60-752AD9BB83E0.png

I have the kind of the same thing with my truck. A Chevy Silverado. 

I contacted mechman, and have done some youtube research, and my truck, because of the regulator "doughnut", it doesn't like when you ground things to the frame. So what I have to do is squeeze a 1/0 through the doughnut, ground it to the factory ground point (in my truck it's on the engine block) and all the amps and the extra battery ground, I have to ground straight to the alternator. 

You could try that, from how you explained it, it sounds like the same concept more or less. Or contact the company of the alternator and see what they say about it. RVC's are common as hell nowadays, they should be able to shed some light on it (or, even if it's not a mechman, contract them and just lie and say it's a mechman lol, they knew right away about my truck). Or, you could bypass it completely and go externally regulated alternator. 

I've also heard of people having good experiences looking for answers for questions about voltage controllers in forums and Facebook groups that are for huge fans of a specific car. You could check and see if there are any nissan titan specific forums or Facebook groups. 

Sorry I don't know the specific answer, but I hope that helps a little

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

For sure helps i appreciate the reply!!!  I actually got a js alt.  mechman is who had the video on YouTube and they used a 2gauge.  I think I read somewhere that a guy had filed the regulator down enough to squeeze a 0 through it.  Part of me wants

to ask a nissan dealership.  There just has to be a real option.  So what I’ve gathered is it’s in charge of making sure the battery isn’t overcharged and helps mpg.  If I’m adding a secondary battery will it charge it as well. So many questions and nowhere to turn but here so I do appreciate everyone’s responses.

12 hours ago, Marchant89 said:

System is actually in place and clearly electrical can’t hang I clip fairly bad when I get around 33hz at full tilt 

That's not a huge amount of power demand. If you upgrade and can squeeze a 1/0 through that hole and ground it to where the stock ground is, I think you'd be good. 

If you add a second battery, just ground it to the alternator, but make sure to have a run going back to the stock battery as well, so the RVC can work with the new battery as well. Wire them in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative). That's how I used to have it in my truck. 

It seems like that voltage controller is very similar to the one in my truck. Looks the same, acts the same, does the same thing. It's kind of a pain in the butt because you have to ground everything to the alternator, but if you grab a solid distributing block and ground everything to that, then you can just up the wire size coming from that to your alternator to 2/0 or 4/0 to kind of clean up the wire spaghetti mess. Don't have the battery ground going through the RVC attach to the distro block though. Leave that separate. 

I've also read that you can run cake next to the RVC and it will pick it up, though I've never confirmed that, so I'm not 100% sure on that one

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived