Sonic Electronix

Thanks to the DD-1. I'm getting an Oscope. Really glad I bought it. Steve makes it look easy on the Bench.

Yea Yea.  I know.  You can do it a NUMBER of different ways.      Okay, That's nice.    I get it.     I just got mine out today.   And I have had it in the box for over almost 2 years.   

I have to admit there really needs to be some Improvements that could me made in the usability that is outside of the way it works.        I really like the LEADS,  but think more leads would be nice.  Being an LVE,  I'm going to make my own, and hopefully, make a few extra for others.    Just stuff to make the tool a better experience for first timers. 

Arguably,  I did not need it. But I had  always wanted one since Mr. Meade showed it WAY back in the day.      It's been such a cool thing to just have.   I was In Sacremento right by his shop, wished I dropped in to have him sign it or just meet him at a show when I was in CA.    

For me, it was kind of like the First real Big Boy Audio thing to have.  And since I like testing stuff?  Its pretty neat and fast on the workbench,  (Kitchen Table for most of us or the Garage)  but not so simple to use when dealing with it in live production environment  so to speak.    

After my trial with it today, BOY do I have some upgrades for it.   It needs them really.  Its not really made for CHEAP ASS SHIT gear that I will get into later.   

But BOY,   IT did surprise me with what it found, and then what my ears and speaker drivers "told" me.   

Also big thanks to Josh for sharing those files on the OneDrive.  Made it easy to just put on my phone and play back on my DAC!   

Now as far as the TEST LEADS?    There needs to be some Improvement if you want to use it in a production environment as in installs inside of a car cabin.   I have an Idea to fix this, and will post it when I finish testing my idea.    Be happy to give a few away for testing to others to see if you benefit from them.   

Also,  How the FUG can Wallgreens charge 13 DOLL Hairs for a 9V battery!   DAMN YOU!  And they even charged me extra!  WDAFUG!     I'm going to ACE hardware from now on. At least they honor the price they have on the tag.    

Besides that,  using it AFTER I read the Instructions on 4 channel amps, really did make a BIG difference.     Kind of a laugh at the Manual.   Reminds me of how AUdio control does it.  

I think the Manual should be updated for Mechless units and playback systems today.    CD's are nice.  But lets be honest.  Who uses them daily?     Nice its in the Package, but updated instructions would be nice for the first time user.   Also illustrations.     

Something that was odd was that even though the battery was an Energizer new from the store, the Yellow Battery light seemed to be Partially lit.   Not sure why.   But pretty sure I did something  incorrectly. 

Its a pain to use the Test leads in small tight installs, but I got though it.      I also like the LED's and how bright they are.   They are easy to see.     

This is what made me wonder about the unit at first.  I was getting the read light in 2 places on the gain.   This confirmed to me the POTS on the Amp I was testing are JUNK.  

I also think the the Silicone case seems loose but it does fit.     I was thinking it would be a heavier, but being light is a plus.  It just does not feel at least in intial impresions like a high end piece of test gear like a FLUKE meter.    Fit and finish seems to be fine.   

I understand that their are newer units, but I always wanted a DD-1 for my collection.     It was kind of a right of passage, and a big thank you for all the great videos and content  over the years.     I'm keeping it for life.   I just need to get a custom storage case for it.   So suggestions are appreciated.    

What I really liked about the unit was the RCA input.   I wish it had a DUAL input as what I found out today on the  head unit I was testing, it has SUCH CRAPPY RCA's, that when you loaded them both down, they would distort.  When just one was used, no problem.   Again, this goes into my suggestion that the DD-1 only be used on quality gear.    This is not a problem on good quality stuff at all.  Its unheard of actually unless there is a Problem with it.  Or Fault.     However, it is not the fault of the DD-1 unit or a shortcoming for its intended use scenario.  

I'm actually kind of excited that I get to test some of my Head Units, and other items via the RCA outs and Line level outs.  So that really cool.   And I have lots of Home audio gear I can't wait to test with it.       

Hell, I'm going to test the PHONES and tablets I have.     

Now about the Oscope.   I never really saw the need to get one.  Just wanted one as a Toy, but now I see why I really would like to own one.    So off to Mr. Carlson's lab in order to build or just buy one of the Old School CRT types.     I don't really NEED one.  I just want one now.    

One thing that was no surprise to me is my Topping and Ampire Clone AD-10 DAC is distortion free out of the Box playing the 0dB FLAC files at full volume.   This alone was worth the cost I paid for the DD-1.    I just like to know.    Sure,  Amir tested it.  Many others have as well.  But right now?   Its the BEST audio Gear I think I ever got.   I also get to check the Gains set my Amir at ASR, as I sent my DUAL 1004d Amp to be tested.    (I got a PINK PANTHER!)    

Really, its a great day.  Glad I got the chance to use the DD-1.   And am happy to own it.    It really is just a nice piece of kit to have.   Its simple to use once you get the hang of it. and it does what it says it does and with fast results.   Nothing cryptic here.    

If I had any requests, I wish it had some kind of Audible or tactile feedback for the indicators.    Also,  a setting greater than 1%  would be nice to match up with some of the higher end gear.  But that is what an oscope is for, or pro test gear.       Really, it's not needed as most of the better gear is all digital chain to the amp anyways if you are in the S.Q scene.   So it's already done for you on some gear I suppose.  

In my humber opinion?  This is really tailor made for Multiple amps, and LARGE ones at that.   Hard t0 believe it can really handle 15,000 watts.  Pretty cool!    I think that's more than an AC outlet can do.    I won't be trying it.  But I'm sure 60Hz is 60 Hz.   

One thing that always made me wonder is why SMD has not made a distortion meter for DC power in a car.    I know that's its sort of a MOOT point, but something like that would be a nice handy tool in the same form factor that would go beyond just audio.   And would be a Boon for places like Autozone, Napa etc.   It sure would give you better data then a typical load test  done at most car parts stores.    

Overall?   Really going to have some FUN with this unit.    Make some videos, and might send it to Amir at ASR to see just how accurate it is compared to his test equipment.  

I had my Gains on my AMP set by him, so I will verify it and post a video with the DD-1 to see if it matches up the best I can.    I'm no Nelson Pass, but I can do a thing or too. 

Have a good day everyone!    

-iMickey503

Uh why would you want to calibrate with a higher then 1% thd the higher the thd the worse it is do you mean lower ? A lot of high end audio I’ve looked at is lower then 1% thd not higher (home audio) or did I misread what you said … most my installs are open so the leads are fine for me was thinking of making a 90° Tips and dual alligator clips  though for fun but never got around to it mainly because really didn’t need it .. you can dl the files online so cd flash drive etc doesn’t matter to me what it comes on .. like my install Ill be doing I’ll be doing a flash drive and Bluetooth to see if they are different.. factory head unit doesn’t have cd … and dual rcas aren’t needed since you can adjust  everything at the amp I know the manual says each thing in the original manual but want to say it says you can at the amp now not 💯 sure though only time I read the manual was to see what tracks I needed lol… 

Archived