Second Skin Audio

Port Area Helpp!!

Jeremy009

I've been reading that the 12-16 rule for a slot port isn't fully accurate and i want to attempt a diy optimal sub box. Unfortunately i don't have any programs to do this for me and i can't seem to get any way to calculate it on pen and paper online,  i was wondering if someone can assist me with calculating port area for my daily box using the following information.

The sub is a 10" DD sub (610)

cone area 78.54
The xmax is 14mm
I will be giving the sub 1000rms
The box will be 1.5cubes net.
Am going for a 35hz tune.

Can someone tell me the perfect port area that the sub will love..thankss

18 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Yoo buddy!! Whats up!! Build commimg along great. Got my mids amp yesterday but plans changes with the components. I ended up reselling and got 2 6.5s amd tweets running active... ok i got it, it says i need 33" total. What about xmax and cone area? That factors that in?

I have no idea about box design. Sorry. I just know that a lot of people have used his port calculator and loved it. 

Glad to hear things are moving along! Hopefully you'll be banging here pretty soon! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yeah the 12-16 sq in rule is often far from ideal.  It doesn't take into account input power or tuning frequency, both of which have a big impact on how much port area you need.  

For what you want to do, I would go no lower than 25 sq in of port area, and if you could get up to 32-34 sq in that would greatly reduce any port noise/port compression you might have.  It will require a pretty long port though.  Everything is a trade-off.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived