Replace stock HU or use a LOC?

Hey guys I have a Toyota 2013 four runner I am just starting to work on putting in a system and it has an awesome large screen head unit that I really do not want to get rid of and replace an aftermarket hu. It has a backup camera and shows album covers and everything on the screen. My question is can I get a powered loc and still make it sound just as good as an aftermarket HU? My system will consist of 2 15s on 5k watts and single set of tweeters along with single set of 6.5s or 8's possibly.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you want is an AmpPro, it gives you a clean signal to add amplifiers or a DSP

Search for part# AP4-TY11

It's not the cheapest option but it eliminates any factory radio crossovers, it leaves you with clean outputs & lets you adjust door chime volume if that goes through your radio (I'm not sure about your vehicle), plus it has a knob you can use as a bass knob for your sub amp. It's worth it's weight in gold if you want to stay with a factory look/interface.

If you're going budget, check out the Dayton Audio DSP-408. I recommend doing a DSP before your amps if you're doing mids and highs as well. If you're only doing subs, it isn't as crucial. 

17 hours ago, CorNut said:

What you want is an AmpPro, it gives you a clean signal to add amplifiers or a DSP

Search for part# AP4-TY11

It's not the cheapest option but it eliminates any factory radio crossovers, it leaves you with clean outputs & lets you adjust door chime volume if that goes through your radio (I'm not sure about your vehicle), plus it has a knob you can use as a bass knob for your sub amp. It's worth it's weight in gold if you want to stay with a factory look/interface.

If you're going budget, check out the Dayton Audio DSP-408. I recommend doing a DSP before your amps if you're doing mids and highs as well. If you're only doing subs, it isn't as crucial. 

If that’s what I gotta do then I will pay the price!! Thanks so much for the reply. That really clears things up for me but I will be adding mids/highs as well as two subs

33 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Will the dsp take rcas from my sub amp too or just mids and highs like you said

The AmoPro will plug-in to your factory radio harness, it'll give you 6 outputs, 2x front, 2x rear and 2x sub. What you'll most likely want to do is use channels 1 through 4 and send them to a DSP, DSR-1 or similar, then that gives you 8 outputs to set as you see fit. Typically 2 for front, 2 for rear and 2 for subs but you have those other 2 available for whatever you want. Midbass, active components, it's a DSP so you can customize the 8 outputs to be whatever you want. 

You'll go factory head unit->AmpPro->DSP->4ch & monoblock

The Amp Pro will give you clean RCA's out of the head unit.  You would take those pre-amps into a DSP (like the DSR-1 or an Audio Control DM-608).  The DSP will allow you to do things like time alignment, level adjustment and of course something like a 31 band adjustable EQ for each channel.  You can either use a remote nob with your DSP to control the sub amp level - or just use the nob that comes with your bass amp.

10 hours ago, CorNut said:

The AmoPro will plug-in to your factory radio harness, it'll give you 6 outputs, 2x front, 2x rear and 2x sub. What you'll most likely want to do is use channels 1 through 4 and send them to a DSP, DSR-1 or similar, then that gives you 8 outputs to set as you see fit. Typically 2 for front, 2 for rear and 2 for subs but you have those other 2 available for whatever you want. Midbass, active components, it's a DSP so you can customize the 8 outputs to be whatever you want. 

You'll go factory head unit->AmpPro->DSP->4ch & monoblock

Ok so from the dsp I will have 4 rca inputs (2 going to 4 channel amp and 2 going to sub amp?)

How many out you have depends on which DSP you choose. All 3 DSP's mentioned in this thread have 8 outputs, hence, why I said you'd have 2 leftover. If you don't understand a DSP/it confuses you, get the AmpPro and call it a day. I feel like you're confused, regardless of how much I explain it. An AmpPro will let you connect a 4-ch mids amp and also a sub amp. That's probably your best bet, just use the crossovers on the amps or on your head unit.

32 minutes ago, CorNut said:

How many out you have depends on which DSP you choose. All 3 DSP's mentioned in this thread have 8 outputs, hence, why I said you'd have 2 leftover. If you don't understand a DSP/it confuses you, get the AmpPro and call it a day. I feel like you're confused, regardless of how much I explain it. An AmpPro will let you connect a 4-ch mids amp and also a sub amp. That's probably the m your best bet, just use the crossovers on the amps or on your head unit.

Ok I’ll just get the amp pro. Thanks

Archived