NOOBIE CAR AUDIO BUILD NEED LOTS OF HELP 5000WATT+ TOYOTA 4 RUNNER & 2 SUNDOWN X15S

How's it goin guys. I am planning on doing my first big system. I am planning on running 2 version 2 sundown x15 dual 2 ohm subs on a Taramps smart 5k wired to two ohms. I plan on making a L port box for both subs tuned to 30hz that will fit in the trunk behind the second row seats. I would like for my second row seats to be able to go up while having a couple amps and a lithium battery all in the trunk with the box. I am really hoping I will get at least 145dB out of this system

1457711284_vc4VFdHHT4CQNIoBejBTA.thumb.jpg.2c8ee573798742774487a6145a76515c.jpg

My lovely trunk that I can hopefully fit at least a 6 cube box, orientation will be subs up port back. Plan on a big lithium right behind those seats as well as amp rack with 5k smart Taramps and 4 channel taramps (not sure what wattage yet) and a lc7i or lc2i possibly. 

lAVsVteDTw64OCnDjcehTw.thumb.jpg.5fbe8646538e43f6c056ae9fd093cae0.jpg

Next up I would love to keep this head unit and use a powered loc instead of rip it out and put an ugly, bright, and cheap ass looking LED aftermarket head unit thing they sell these days. Although I am concerned on sound quality and intimated by the setup of a powered loc so I'm not sure what to do on this part.

424685141_o5kqGHDpQB6vr9TmeSjnQ.thumb.jpg.43814b9bafaa01696b9f851094576942.jpg

Ok now my alternator, got no idea how big of an alternator I'm gonna need but jeez I hope I can replace this and get it wired up ok without destroying my car lol. This probably intimidates me the most by far.

RU4Oj3HVRHaJbufuUbS1kA.thumb.jpg.d1537a1f44297446b59ee4d4b529f9f6.jpg

Ok gotta replace the 6.5s behind these door panels. Easy money, running wire will be the biggest pain in that part though

526327757_eBoNPkhtS4T2fgKtIpzgA.thumb.jpg.3cce0350259ee06ff586fef7db365b84.jpg.

Ok I have no clue what size tweeters are under here if there even is tweeters under here but again easyyy money to replace these. Ok guys that is all I have!! Very shortly here I will start sound deadening my doors and trunk with dynamat extreme and I will be posting pics of that

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys just sound deadened for my first time ever. I only finished one door and it took me a long time but made a noticeable difference. Check out this vid!! See if you can tell which door I did work to. Sound deadener I used was dynamite extreme. Really happy with my work. Can't wait to finish all my doors and trunk.

3 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Still at work sound deadening the 4Runner. One question I have for you guys though is my front two doors have coaxials in them. I want to put mids in there that’ll be the same size/shape as the old coaxials. What y’all think? 

FEEEC7C9-D85A-4CEB-9063-3496F4F75125.jpeg

I personally would put a nice component set in there.

What size is it? 6.5"? 

You should be able to find a component set with a mid range woofer that's the same size as that one, no problem.

Some things to consider....

How much space is there between the front of your stock woofer, and the stock speaker grill on the door panel? 

How much space do you have for mounting depth? 

Does your window roll down behind the speaker or not? 

Usually, aftermarket speakers have more mounting depth than the stock ones. Which is normal. They're built better. If your window rolls down behind the speaker, you have to make sure whatever aftermarket speaker you put in that location doesn't impact the window. That can easily be remedied by making a little spacer ring. 

On the contrary, if you need to add a spacer ring, you have to make sure the speaker itself will fit behind your door panel. In my experiences, there usually is space, but I've never messed with a 4 runner. 

For the tweeter, do you have a stock location for tweeters already? Maybe elsewhere in the door? Or maybe in the A pillar? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 9/6/2021 at 4:22 PM, Mattc43 said:

How's it goin guys. I am planning on doing my first big system. I am planning on running 2 version 2 sundown x15 dual 2 ohm subs on a Taramps smart 5k wired to two ohms. I plan on making a L port box for both subs tuned to 30hz that will fit in the trunk behind the second row seats. I would like for my second row seats to be able to go up while having a couple amps and a lithium battery all in the trunk with the box. I am really hoping I will get at least 145dB out of this system

1457711284_vc4VFdHHT4CQNIoBejBTA.thumb.jpg.2c8ee573798742774487a6145a76515c.jpg

My lovely trunk that I can hopefully fit at least a 6 cube box, orientation will be subs up port back. Plan on a big lithium right behind those seats as well as amp rack with 5k smart Taramps and 4 channel taramps (not sure what wattage yet) and a lc7i or lc2i possibly. 

lAVsVteDTw64OCnDjcehTw.thumb.jpg.5fbe8646538e43f6c056ae9fd093cae0.jpg

Next up I would love to keep this head unit and use a powered loc instead of rip it out and put an ugly, bright, and cheap ass looking LED aftermarket head unit thing they sell these days. Although I am concerned on sound quality and intimated by the setup of a powered loc so I'm not sure what to do on this part.

424685141_o5kqGHDpQB6vr9TmeSjnQ.thumb.jpg.43814b9bafaa01696b9f851094576942.jpg

Ok now my alternator, got no idea how big of an alternator I'm gonna need but jeez I hope I can replace this and get it wired up ok without destroying my car lol. This probably intimidates me the most by far.

RU4Oj3HVRHaJbufuUbS1kA.thumb.jpg.d1537a1f44297446b59ee4d4b529f9f6.jpg

Ok gotta replace the 6.5s behind these door panels. Easy money, running wire will be the biggest pain in that part though

526327757_eBoNPkhtS4T2fgKtIpzgA.thumb.jpg.3cce0350259ee06ff586fef7db365b84.jpg.

Ok I have no clue what size tweeters are under here if there even is tweeters under here but again easyyy money to replace these. Ok guys that is all I have!! Very shortly here I will start sound deadening my doors and trunk with dynamat extreme and I will be posting pics of that

Crutchfield can tell you what size tweets go there

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

8 hours ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Crutchfield can tell you what size tweets go there

I will check out Crutchfield. They are awesome and will be a big help. Honestly though the stock tweeters don't sound half bad but I doubt they will keep up with two 15s on 6k watts. I have a really good feeling about this build. The four runner I have is a nice box shape and is not nearly as big inside as my old Tahoe was so I am really hoping I can get at least 145dB on the meter. Daily car for music but that is my goal number in mind. Even 148 would be awesome if I get lucky

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I personally would put a nice component set in there.

What size is it? 6.5"? 

You should be able to find a component set with a mid range woofer that's the same size as that one, no problem.

Some things to consider....

How much space is there between the front of your stock woofer, and the stock speaker grill on the door panel? 

How much space do you have for mounting depth? 

Does your window roll down behind the speaker or not? 

Usually, aftermarket speakers have more mounting depth than the stock ones. Which is normal. They're built better. If your window rolls down behind the speaker, you have to make sure whatever aftermarket speaker you put in that location doesn't impact the window. That can easily be remedied by making a little spacer ring. 

On the contrary, if you need to add a spacer ring, you have to make sure the speaker itself will fit behind your door panel. In my experiences, there usually is space, but I've never messed with a 4 runner. 

For the tweeter, do you have a stock location for tweeters already? Maybe elsewhere in the door? Or maybe in the A pillar? 

Not sure exactly but thanks for all the recommendations. I would've just bought a mid the same size as the coaxial and throw it in there if I didn't consider all the things you just told me 🤣 I am gonna hop on Crutchfield and see what mids/highs will fit my car and then I can get an idea of what I can use and then the next question will be what power rating I am looking for

37 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

I will check out Crutchfield. They are awesome and will be a big help. Honestly though the stock tweeters don't sound half bad but I doubt they will keep up with two 15s on 6k watts. I have a really good feeling about this build. The four runner I have is a nice box shape and is not nearly as big inside as my old Tahoe was so I am really hoping I can get at least 145dB on the meter. Daily car for music but that is my goal number in mind. Even 148 would be awesome if I get lucky

Yea I drive a charger I don't know what I meter lol but I wish I did this thing will make your ears pop that's for sure I'm surprised my rear view mirror hasn't feel off yet I know it's always pointing down

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

Not sure exactly but thanks for all the recommendations. I would've just bought a mid the same size as the coaxial and throw it in there if I didn't consider all the things you just told me 🤣 I am gonna hop on Crutchfield and see what mids/highs will fit my car and then I can get an idea of what I can use and then the next question will be what power rating I am looking for

2 15's on 6k, I'd look for as high of an RMS as you can get! At least 150, if you can't find 200 RMS. That bass is going to be loud! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived