NOOBIE CAR AUDIO BUILD NEED LOTS OF HELP 5000WATT+ TOYOTA 4 RUNNER & 2 SUNDOWN X15S

In a perfect world you might get 1500 rmw to each sub, but with box rise you are getting 1k Max to each sub, and this is if you are wired to .5 ohm (assuming you stay at 14 volts). Any lower and you are loosing rms.  Box rise is a bitch. Dont go clipping, that will kill your subs, tune the amp, but realize as soon as voltage drops you will start to clip sooner.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, killerc998 said:

In a perfect world you might get 1500 rmw to each sub, but with box rise you are getting 1k Max to each sub, and this is if you are wired to .5 ohm (assuming you stay at 14 volts). Any lower and you are loosing rms.  Box rise is a bitch. Dont go clipping, that will kill your subs, tune the amp, but realize as soon as voltage drops you will start to clip sooner.

Thanks! I’ve read that box rise doesn’t exist that it really is just impedance rise. My 5k should help push those subs right. 

• 1 month later...

My system still isn’t what I want it to be:( installed a smart bass Taramps 5k with two d4s lto 6.0s. I have a single run of 1/0 welding wiring going from alternator to positive on lithium bank then I have a 1/0 ground going to frame of car. Big 3 is done with 1/0 welding wire as well. 270amp HO dc power alt installed as well. I have yet to install a volt meter although I do have one. Subs are wired to .5ohms and honestly I’m not that impressed. It’s a decent bit louder than the 3k I had powering both subs but I really thought it would blow my mind.
        I also seem to have voltage drop issues because I clip at idle after going full tilt for a few minutes.  I’m really frustrated and want to give up and walk away from it all. I had high hopes for this system and hoped to enjoy it for years until it’s time to upgrade and rebuild. Here is my setup and my ground. Let me know what you guys think. I want to get this right

6832CF0E-4451-4281-83F3-9A2A57129869.jpeg

32BE8819-3C45-4BC0-B84F-4DFE0BE5823B.jpeg

14 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

My system still isn’t what I want it to be:( installed a smart bass Taramps 5k with two d4s lto 6.0s. I have a single run of 1/0 welding wiring going from alternator to positive on lithium bank then I have a 1/0 ground going to frame of car. Big 3 is done with 1/0 welding wire as well. 270amp HO dc power alt installed as well. I have yet to install a volt meter although I do have one. Subs are wired to .5ohms and honestly I’m not that impressed. It’s a decent bit louder than the 3k I had powering both subs but I really thought it would blow my mind.
        I also seem to have voltage drop issues because I clip at idle after going full tilt for a few minutes.  I’m really frustrated and want to give up and walk away from it all. I had high hopes for this system and hoped to enjoy it for years until it’s time to upgrade and rebuild. Here is my setup and my ground. Let me know what you guys think. I want to get this right

6832CF0E-4451-4281-83F3-9A2A57129869.jpeg

32BE8819-3C45-4BC0-B84F-4DFE0BE5823B.jpeg

Just seems like you expected too much. 

Voltage drop is going to happen. It just does. Unless you want to get multiple alternators and more batteries, it is what it is. As long as you're not dropping down into the 10's really, you won't damage anything. 

With the Taramps, when that yellow clip light flashes, that's where you want to be. That means you're about to clip, not clipping. When the yellow light and the red light both come on, that means you're actually clipping. Also, soft clipping usually is ok. You just have to make sure you're not constantly clipping over and over again. 

Where is your amplifier grounded to? The battery? If so, I would add another ground to the frame, and maybe double up the big 3 runs. Probably won't make a huge difference, but worth a try. That smart 5k eats! 

How close to the back hatch is the port? It might be too close and not letting the port breath efficiently. It doesn't look like you have much room, but try moving it away from the back of you can. Maybe try port forward? It could improve if you find the sweet spot for your enclosure. 

Unfortunately, it's never enough dude. You could be running 8 15's and after a month or two, you'll get used to it and want more. That's just the way it is bud. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Just seems like you expected too much. 

Voltage drop is going to happen. It just does. Unless you want to get multiple alternators and more batteries, it is what it is. As long as you're not dropping down into the 10's really, you won't damage anything. 

With the Taramps, when that yellow clip light flashes, that's where you want to be. That means you're about to clip, not clipping. When the yellow light and the red light both come on, that means you're actually clipping. Also, soft clipping usually is ok. You just have to make sure you're not constantly clipping over and over again. 

Where is your amplifier grounded to? The battery? If so, I would add another ground to the frame, and maybe double up the big 3 runs. Probably won't make a huge difference, but worth a try. That smart 5k eats! 

How close to the back hatch is the port? It might be too close and not letting the port breath efficiently. It doesn't look like you have much room, but try moving it away from the back of you can. Maybe try port forward? It could improve if you find the sweet spot for your enclosure. 

Unfortunately, it's never enough dude. You could be running 8 15's and after a month or two, you'll get used to it and want more. That's just the way it is bud. 

Appreciate the reply. Just got back from slamology and it absolutely blew my mind! Learned a lot and met JP, Jacob Fuller, and Jacob viral too even!! Got a ton of demos and opened my eyes to what’s out there. I also realized I was worried to push my subs hard and I got in today and it does get down 😅 after seeing how hard guys were pushing their subs there (burn your hand when touching the magnet type of hot) I was pleasantly surprised how loud my system is!! I’m happy with it! Need to get my voltmeter installed still and mids/highs but it moves some air at 30hz (box tuning is at 30) Not like hair trick crazy but a nice amount of wind. My amps are grounded to battery which is grounded to frame. Do you think they need another ground? My amp has two negative inputs so should I ground both those straight to frame instead of battery? My port is about 6ish inches away from trunk hatch and my port is 5 1/4” wide. Do you think that is a big deal or no?

My box is already bolted down so I’d prefer not to have to move it but it sounds good!  Can’t wait to louden up my vocals here soon. Really all came down to me being scared to hurt my subs. I was playing them to where I was comfortable and it just sort of got them warm but I don’t think I’m pushing them like I should. You are correct, that smart 5k puts out some serious power and once I turned my hu up to max volume where dd1 said it doesn’t clip that 5k was nice and loud

14 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

Appreciate the reply. Just got back from slamology and it absolutely blew my mind! Learned a lot and met JP, Jacob Fuller, and Jacob viral too even!! Got a ton of demos and opened my eyes to what’s out there. I also realized I was worried to push my subs hard and I got in today and it does get down 😅 after seeing how hard guys were pushing their subs there (burn your hand when touching the magnet type of hot) I was pleasantly surprised how loud my system is!! I’m happy with it! Need to get my voltmeter installed still and mids/highs but it moves some air at 30hz (box tuning is at 30) Not like hair trick crazy but a nice amount of wind. My amps are grounded to battery which is grounded to frame. Do you think they need another ground? My amp has two negative inputs so should I ground both those straight to frame instead of battery? My port is about 6ish inches away from trunk hatch and my port is 5 1/4” wide. Do you think that is a big deal or no?

My box is already bolted down so I’d prefer not to have to move it but it sounds good!  Can’t wait to louden up my vocals here soon. Really all came down to me being scared to hurt my subs. I was playing them to where I was comfortable and it just sort of got them warm but I don’t think I’m pushing them like I should. You are correct, that smart 5k puts out some serious power and once I turned my hu up to max volume where dd1 said it doesn’t clip that 5k was nice and loud

Well, as long as you figured out the problem and are happy with the sound, that's all that matters bud! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 2/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, Mattc43 said:

Been awhile guys and I’m laughing at myself and some of the things I’ve said on this build log lol. Feel like I’ve learned a decent bit about car audio since I’ve been active on this build log but anyways box is drying as we speak with its final coating of paint. Waiting on my alternator from Dc power to come in and will be ordering headway cells (doing a battery delete) to make a bank. 6DA097E0-76B3-448B-B507-93B01ACCCE44.thumb.jpeg.56e3bb0d7d1d1828b0c4988bd3d15ba9.jpeg

I fixing to do a box design like this in my 06 crew cab Silverado for 2 sundown x 18”s 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:25 AM, Mattc43 said:

Thanks! I’ve read that box rise doesn’t exist that it really is just impedance rise. My 5k should help push those subs right. 

Box rise or impedance rise, I call it the same thing. Once you put power to the subs and it plays it rises. Everyone calls it something different, it's still the same. 

I'm happy you got it running, and once broke in it should get louder. 

2 hours ago, killerc998 said:

Box rise or impedance rise, I call it the same thing. Once you put power to the subs and it plays it rises. Everyone calls it something different, it's still the same. 

I'm happy you got it running, and once broke in it should get louder. 

They are definitely broken in now! Nice and loose to when I first had them. They were so stiff at first. I got them to smell for the first couple times ever and it freaked me out. Immediately turned them off and rode home in silence but man do they beat!

Archived