NOOBIE CAR AUDIO BUILD NEED LOTS OF HELP 5000WATT+ TOYOTA 4 RUNNER & 2 SUNDOWN X15S

50 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Hey guys I have stunk up my x15s twice now. It was that sweet smell you get when a voice coil gets too hot. Scared the sh*t out of me when it happened. Going to reset my gains tomorrow and NO MORE MUSI APP. I will be downloading the Dj rusticals app and running all my music through usb connection. My question for you guys is tho have I caused permanent damage to my voice coils? After both times I stunk them up I felt the dustcaps and they were warm. Not hot enough to burn my hand but I could lay my hand on them and definitely feel the heat. 

I’ve tested the cones of both my subs and did not hear any crackling of the voice coil or stiffness. Subs are not blown but did take some clipping for sure. Makes me nervous because recones are not cheap for these subs and I don’t want to see them go up in smoke

Only way to tell is to put a DMM on each voice coil and measure the impedance, and visually inspect everything. 

How are you listening to your music? Through the phone? If so, I wouldn't turn the phone up all the way, if you are. That could be where you are running into problems. Just guessing though

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Only way to tell is to put a DMM on each voice coil and measure the impedance, and visually inspect everything. 

How are you listening to your music? Through the phone? If so, I wouldn't turn the phone up all the way, if you are. That could be where you are running into problems. Just guessing though

I am listening to music with my phone through Bluetooth but I will be using a usb cable to play my music to get a cleaner signal. I could take the subs out and see what impedance I get. They seem to be ok tho! Definitely have taken some abuse tho

If they seem ok,I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure they're a bitch to get in and out. 

Even with a USB, I still wouldn't max out my phones volume

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

If they seem ok,I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure they're a bitch to get in and out. 

Even with a USB, I still wouldn't max out my phones volume

They are very difficult to get in and out. My box is tall so little space for subs to come out and bolted down to my car frame as well so yep. Ok I’ll try a click down or so next time!

Noobie strikes again ok so guys I have my bass stage all set but I ran out of terminals on my bussbars for my multichannel amp. Y’all think I could just attach the 4 gauge lugs I’ll be using for my multichannel to the small bolts? (Picture below for reference) dying to get my doors done! I can’t hear a thing really besides bass because the subs are so loud!

I set my gains with a 40hz -5dB test tone and headunit clips at 62 out of 61 so I never go above 61. Used a DD1 to do this. I also purely play Dj russticals rebassed songs which are record at -6.5dbs (correct me if I’m wrong). When I go full tilt for a few songs I get this really sweet smell from the port of my box. Is this excess glue burning because the subs are new or coil? I play them at a low volume to cool them off and they cool off relatively quickly. Dust cap does get quite warm but not painful to touch by any means. Hope I don’t blow em but if I do it’ll be a good learning experience that will come at a price tho lol. I’ll also add my voltage is solid. I stay at 14 and drop to 13.2 if I’m really pushing the subs hard

EBDFA988-65D0-471C-AF41-25994085FFD9.png

Also gonna add that the subs are new and I’ve never really pushed them hard. They were on a 3k before and I played them very conservatively and never had that sweet smell until I threw my 5k on em. To be honest the smell is actually really pleasant. I’m thinking I may not be burning the coil up but glue maybe 😅 I hope it’s the glue

• 1 month later...

Well it was a good run with the x15s but it’s time to go bigger. Next build I will be building a slide in 4th order for 2 resilient sounds plat 18 dual 1s. Gonna make the box out of birch and stain it navy blue with white trim around the port as well LEDs inside the enclosure 😈  They will be wired to an ohm on a sound digital 12k. My doors will be kept the same, 4 db arnold 6.5s and 2 b2 audio rage st neo super tweets all running off the d4s 590 4 channel amp I already have. Ditching the 2 d4s lto 6.0s I have for a yinlong bank.

Also hoping I can get away with the 270a dc power I have under the hood but 😅 I may upgrade to a js 300 but I’d really prefer not to since it is a motherF%@?ker to replace my alt. Will be doing a battery delete as well and get rid of the yellow top under the hood. Keeping my headunit and voltmeter the same as well. I’m ready for more wind and dbs! This will be my first wall build. Learned a lot from my last build. Electrical is everything, always better to go overkill if not sure. Rest In Peace to my interior after this is done. The flex is definitely going to put a hurting on my car 🤣

Archived