Second Skin Audio

Good sub(s) for a JBL Club 5501?

CorNut

Well, I do have an old Audiopipe amp, APSM-1300 that claims 1000w @ 1ohm. I took measurements and it looks like it'll fit in the rear quarter panel I was hoping to use. That opens things up a bit, do you think that can push 2 Tropo 12's? I just noticed that amp's actually in my avatar. It's from such an old build, I forgot I even had it until today. I wonder if it really pushes 1000w, maybe I should go back to the single Ozone 12 idea but go with the D2 since I'll have a 1-ohm amp. That amp blew the hell out of the 10" Champion Pro series Pioneer I had it on but I may not have set the gain right. I was even more of a newb back then than I am now.

It's hard to say unless you have access to something like the AMM-1 (hand held amp dyno) and some big ass break resistors to test it with.  I poked around and didn't find a dyno video on youtube for the APSM-1300.  I know Audiopipe has been all over the map over the years, but the majority of the dyno videos I've seen don't paint them in a favorable light.

If you remember that it did well back in the day, maybe go for it.  You might also see if you could wheel and deal and sell the JBL and Audiopipe amps and take that cash and look at a newer 1 ohm stable mono block amplifier and just go with 2 Tropos or even 2 Ozones if your budget allows for it.

I ended up ordering an ozone and a Tropo XL, both 12" D2. 

I'll try em both and see what I like better. Being D2 subs I don't mind having a spare.

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking forward to trying CT Sounds. Even if the Audiopipe is overrated, I'm sure it'll push the 800w ozone without issue. If it's true and pushes the Tropo XL, even better. Thanks again

Archived