Second Skin Audio

port design help

CorNut

I designed a box that nets either 2.38 or 3.17 cu ft. I ordered 2 subs since I couldn't make up my mind. The subs are:

CT Sounds TROPO-XL 

and

CT Sounds OZONE-12

CT Sounds says the box specs for the 2 are:

Tropo-XL: .16 displacement, ported 1.50 cu ft at 34hz, 28 port area

OZONE:    .13 displacement, ported 1.65 cu ft at 32hz, 32 port area

I'll be pairing one of the subs with a 1000w RMS Audiopipe APSM-1300, I can make the box smaller than 2.38 net but I can't go larger than 3.17. I like the idea of a round port for its ease of use but I'm not sure I can get the exact port area they ask for. Any help/tips are appreciated. winisd is confusing me.

Edit* I think I got it figured out. I have no choice but to do a slot port. With the port area the manufacturer recommends, it needs too much length to make it work. I really wanted this one to be easy, oh well.

It's never easy lol

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, CorNut said:

I designed a box that nets either 2.38 or 3.17 cu ft. I ordered 2 subs since I couldn't make up my mind. The subs are:

CT Sounds TROPO-XL 

and

CT Sounds OZONE-12

CT Sounds says the box specs for the 2 are:

Tropo-XL: .16 displacement, ported 1.50 cu ft at 34hz, 28 port area

OZONE:    .13 displacement, ported 1.65 cu ft at 32hz, 32 port area

I'll be pairing one of the subs with a 1000w RMS Audiopipe APSM-1300, I can make the box smaller than 2.38 net but I can't go larger than 3.17. I like the idea of a round port for its ease of use but I'm not sure I can get the exact port area they ask for. Any help/tips are appreciated. winisd is confusing me.

Edit* I think I got it figured out. I have no choice but to do a slot port. With the port area the manufacturer recommends, it needs too much length to make it work. I really wanted this one to be easy, oh well.

Do you have the option to have the port extend out of the enclosure?  And I don't remember if you mentioned what ride this is going in in a different thread (A Toyota SUV I think?)  Just trying to think if there are options for a round port that could work and not look crazy.  I've used round ports that extended out of the enclosure and ported up through the package shelf/rear deck in car trunk builds in the past, but making it look good if it's in an SUV cargo area might be a bit of a challenge.

Good news is, if you go with a slotted port, they aren't too difficult to build into the box, just make sure you use plenty of bracing and corner 45s.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:16 AM, Arthur79 said:

Do you have the option to have the port extend out of the enclosure?  And I don't remember if you mentioned what ride this is going in in a different thread (A Toyota SUV I think?)  Just trying to think if there are options for a round port that could work and not look crazy.  I've used round ports that extended out of the enclosure and ported up through the package shelf/rear deck in car trunk builds in the past, but making it look good if it's in an SUV cargo area might be a bit of a challenge.

Good news is, if you go with a slotted port, they aren't too difficult to build into the box, just make sure you use plenty of bracing and corner 45s.

This is going in an 07 Mustang, the mustang isn't a good candidate for the rear shelf port, however I'm doing an enclosure in a 68 Chevelle where it is. Is it better to rear fire the sub and up fire the port through the rear deck? The Chevelle is getting a fabricated shelf anyway to house the 6x9's that were installed (they're too big). The Chevelle is going to be a 15" L7X build, we're throwing a temporary 15 in the box until they're released.

No external port in the mustang but the Chevelle is good for just about anything. 

11 hours ago, CorNut said:

This is going in an 07 Mustang, the mustang isn't a good candidate for the rear shelf port, however I'm doing an enclosure in a 68 Chevelle where it is. Is it better to rear fire the sub and up fire the port through the rear deck? The Chevelle is getting a fabricated shelf anyway to house the 6x9's that were installed (they're too big). The Chevelle is going to be a 15" L7X build, we're throwing a temporary 15 in the box until they're released.

No external port in the mustang but the Chevelle is good for just about anything. 

It's hard to say if rear or front firing is better.  Rear firing certainly looks good when you pop the trunk.  Porting it into the cabin through the package shelf, I would imagine it will sound pretty good either way.

Archived