Sonic Electronix

Noob can't find help on YouTube. Enclosure first world problems

7 minutes ago, vtxcalibur said:

I appreciate all the help so far. I had a thought, could I separate the chambers and put a port on the outside next to each sub? If I did that I could basically make 2 single boxes and glue them together 

You could do that as long as the math all checks out. 

I still say you should look into doing a 4th order bandpass. I'm pretty sure you have plenty of room

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Ok, so keep the subwoofer on if you have your RCA cables going from your subwoofer output jack behind the head unit to your subwoofer amp (which in assuming is how you have it). 

Phase, just keep at normal. You could try putting it at 180°, but that's just for sound quality issues. You could try it and see if you like the sound better or not, but normal is.... well.... normal. 

Level is your bass boost. Keep that at 0. No need to use it. It only will end up sending a distorted or clipped signal to your amplifier. 

Frequency is, if you where to use your "level" (bass boost), that is the frequency that would be boosted. 

A 4th order bandpass is an enclosure where one side of the subwoofer (back or front) is in a sealed enclosure, and the other side is in a ported enclosure. Basically getting the best of both worlds in a sense. Here's a picture1047607373_Screenshot_20210913-155129_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0eb2ab7e30cef4321984ba68f1741ad5.jpgyou can see, the cone of the subwoofers are firing into a sealed side, and the motor is firing toward a vented side. 

This type of enclosure would make it so you didn't have to try and fandangle your port in crappy spot, probably sacrificing output, sound quality, and subwoofer efficiency. 

The reason I was thinking split chamber was so that instead of having a massive 48x21x? box I'd have two 23x21x? boxes and it might eliminate the need for bracing rods. Wish I could find some thick giant paper tubes I remember seeing many years ago in the army. Cut into quarters would be perfect for the corners to direct air/sound

11 hours ago, vtxcalibur said:

The reason I was thinking split chamber was so that instead of having a massive 48x21x? box I'd have two 23x21x? boxes and it might eliminate the need for bracing rods. Wish I could find some thick giant paper tubes I remember seeing many years ago in the army. Cut into quarters would be perfect for the corners to direct air/sound

You could go that route. I see your thought process and it makes sense, but you've got plenty of space to do whatever you want to do. Don't let having to put a couple brace inside the box so you from building a crazy box for 2 18"subs. You'd maybe need 2 braces. Actually, you could double up all the walls, and use 45°'s in all the corners, and that might strengthen it up enough to where you didn't need braces. (Though with big, powerful 18's, it's always a good idea anyway) 

42 minutes ago, vtxcalibur said:

It's not a bad idea. I do want the subs to be seen. It's going in a show truck. Anything visually enhancing helps get trophies lol

Plexiglass top with LED's! Sweet! Or plexiglass backing

Ok. I don't have a computer so I tried downloading some apps for my phone. They are less than worthless. The only one worth half a shit said my port should be 30.7 inches in length. This was calculated using a 4x19.5 inch port if I'm gonna do split chamber. I guess I need to buy a cheap laptop so I can have a visual of what the box(es) will look like before I even buy the materials to cut. Wish I could do this on my Playstation 5 lol

Archived