Sonic Electronix

Noob can't find help on YouTube. Enclosure first world problems

31 minutes ago, vtxcalibur said:

And you give me too many ideas. Gonna make this a money pit lol

How are you going to have a budget on a show truck! 🤣 just kidding bud. We all have our budget. But really, 1 plexiglass wall for your box won't cost you as much as you think. Go to your neighborhood plastics warehouse (after you get a box designed) and all how much for a piece cut to these specific dimensions. You'd be surprised. 

Yeah, unfortunately you need a computer for those 2 applications I told you about (I did tell you right?). I wish there was one on the phone. Would make things a lot easier

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

How are you going to have a budget on a show truck! 🤣 just kidding bud. We all have our budget. But really, 1 plexiglass wall for your box won't cost you as much as you think. Go to your neighborhood plastics warehouse (after you get a box designed) and all how much for a piece cut to these specific dimensions. You'd be surprised. 

Yeah, unfortunately you need a computer for those 2 applications I told you about (I did tell you right?). I wish there was one on the phone. Would make things a lot easier

Will it allow me to design the box on there? The apps for the phone didn't do that 

42 minutes ago, vtxcalibur said:

Screenshot_20210914-181133_Google.thumb.jpg.7eaaa8d85fa230e18a5854854dbaff5f.jpg

Haha

That's an 8th order bandpass. That would be crazy! But to design that, and be able to model the response curve, I would think you'd need Bass Box Pro (a computer program that gets really in depth with enclosure design. It's $150, or around there) or something like that. Maybe Hornresp has an option for 8th order enclosures....I can't remember. 

Each of those ports would be tuned to a different frequency. 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

That's an 8th order bandpass. That would be crazy! But to design that, and be able to model the response curve, I would think you'd need Bass Box Pro (a computer program that gets really in depth with enclosure design. It's $150, or around there) or something like that. Maybe Hornresp has an option for 8th order enclosures....I can't remember. 

Each of those ports would be tuned to a different frequency. 

Nope that’s a parallel-tuned 6th order. If someone wants to go down the 6th order road those are actually the least difficult to get right. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Nope that’s a parallel-tuned 6th order. If someone wants to go down the 6th order road those are actually the least difficult to get right. 

I've never seen one described with 3 ports. Only two. My bad. 

So would they be tuned to 3 different frequencies? 

By the way, I enjoyed reading on the experiments you did with series 6th orders. Not that I'd ever be able to successfully design an enclosure, but a good, interesting read none the less

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

I've never seen one described with 3 ports. Only two. My bad. 

So would they be tuned to 3 different frequencies? 

By the way, I enjoyed reading on the experiments you did with series 6th orders. Not that I'd ever be able to successfully design an enclosure, but a good, interesting read none the less

The box in the picture is symmetrical, so the left and right chambers are going to be the same volume/tuning.  The center chamber would be tuned differently though.  In the end its just another way to layout a parallel-tuned enclosure.  Its similar to have a ported box with a port on both sides vs one port in the middle.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, vtxcalibur said:

I like this one too. What's the purpose of these kind of boxes? For me it's that I could put both subs sideways and save room in the width of the boxScreenshot_20210914-205044_Google.thumb.jpg.d2ab379ef72218a14929b2b04f6cacbe.jpg

These are other parallel-tuned 6th order bandpass boxes.  They have two tuning frequencies which allows you to shape the frequency response in ways you can't do with a regular ported box.  That does not make them better however, just more sophisticated.  

If I can give you some advice, for 98% of applications a regular ported box is going to provide the best performance relative to how much space it takes up, and how difficult it is to design/construct.  Bandpass boxes generally only perform better when you have a specific problem you are trying to address, and they almost always have drawbacks.  

Builds:

Archived