Second Skin Audio

Sub sonic filter setting with higher RMS

Audiohz

17 minutes ago, Audiohz said:

Have two sundown U12’s running on a salt 4K .  Box tuning is at 35hz so with the smd cc1 manual calculation I would set at 26hz . Being that the amp will put well over the subs rated power set with a -5db gain over lap would I be better setting the ssf closer to tuning? 

If I'm not mistaken, the SALT amps have a 24 db roll off. So I think you'd be fine leaving it alone. Maybe if you play a lot of rebassed music that goes below 26 hz, tune a little closer, but then you'd be losing those low tones. Instead of raising your subsonic filter, me personally, I'd tune the gains at 0db. 

Set it how you would normally. Slap the subs. If they keep reaching their mechanical limits too often where you think you might damage them, back of the gain a smidge 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

27 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If I'm not mistaken, the SALT amps have a 24 db roll off. So I think you'd be fine leaving it alone. Maybe if you play a lot of rebassed music that goes below 26 hz, tune a little closer, but then you'd be losing those low tones. Instead of raising your subsonic filter, me personally, I'd tune the gains at 0db. 

Set it how you would normally. Slap the subs. If they keep reaching their mechanical limits too often where you think you might damage them, back of the gain a smidge 

Currently set at 25 ssf and 80hz lpf. Ran them yesterday hard about 15 minutes no clipping from the OM-1 or the amps Remote bass control. I could not smell the subs from the front (SUV) but when I popped the hatch I could smell them some from the port.

If they're reaching their mechanical limits, that won't show up on the clip light, though it's essentially doing the same thing, causing the cone to stop for a split second, generating heat buildup on the coils. 

I've read conflicting reports about new subwoofers smelling a little while they "break in". Some say it's normal to smell a little as the excess glue burns away a little, others say you should have no smell. I've never experienced the smell personally. So maybe dial the gain back until they break in a little more, and see how they handle it. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help

36 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If they're reaching their mechanical limits, that won't show up on the clip light, though it's essentially doing the same thing, causing the cone to stop for a split second, generating heat buildup on the coils. 

I've read conflicting reports about new subwoofers smelling a little while they "break in". Some say it's normal to smell a little as the excess glue burns away a little, others say you should have no smell. I've never experienced the smell personally. So maybe dial the gain back until they break in a little more, and see how they handle it. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Will definitely try setting at 0db and see how it does.  So your saying at 0db set crossover by the book correct? SSF at 26hz lpf 80 to 100hz ?

80hz on the cc-1 on my Amp I still have words coming out the sub so that don't work for me

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

43 minutes ago, Audiohz said:

Will definitely try setting at 0db and see how it does.  So your saying at 0db set crossover by the book correct? SSF at 26hz lpf 80 to 100hz ?

That's what I would do (that's what I'm going to do as well once I install my SALT 4's)

• 2 months later...

How are the u series handling the salt 4k been thinking about buying it

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm