Putting together first "bigger" system by myself for first time and I have a couple ?'s

This is my first post and really my first "bigger system install", so im not exactly sure if im in the right spot or not but I will ask my question if anyone is out there. I will try to keep short and to the point.

I am installing 2x skar vxf 15s, they will be powered by a cab 4500 wired to 1 ohm. I have 2x xs d3400 under the hood, big 3 complete, and eventually a mechman 370 amp alternator. 

Calculations: SUB AMP: CAB 4500 80% efficiency = 5100 watts / 13.8 = 369.5

Mids/Highs AMP : SKAR RP1k 60% efficiency = 1400 watts / 13.8 = 101

I will be doing 2 runs of 2/0 from the front secondary d3400 to the rear distribution block. I calculated I will need 2x450-475 amp anl fuses up front for the 2 runs to the rear, my question is at the distribution block should I also use 450 amp anl fuses for the amp? The amp will have dual inputs, I will go to 1/0 gauge at the terminal block to the dual amp inputs. 

And then I will run a smaller ANL fuse 100 amp anl for my mids/highs 1k amp at the distribution block since it will be 4 ga after the block and calls for 100 amps.

So basically im open for any opinions, I am just trying to make sure my calculations look right and I have dotted my I's and crossed my T's so to speak. Any help / input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cole !

And I plan to do a build thread, maybe if I'm really feeling spicy a youtube recap. It will be in a 2009 gmc sierra extended cab, rear seat delete, custom stain work for floor and box by my good friend who does custom wood working. Goal will just be a fun daily driver system, would be cool to hit 145-150 db !

32 minutes ago, CMcLane816 said:

This is my first post and really my first "bigger system install", so im not exactly sure if im in the right spot or not but I will ask my question if anyone is out there. I will try to keep short and to the point.

I am installing 2x skar vxf 15s, they will be powered by a cab 4500 wired to 1 ohm. I have 2x xs d3400 under the hood, big 3 complete, and eventually a mechman 370 amp alternator. 

Calculations: SUB AMP: CAB 4500 80% efficiency = 5100 watts / 13.8 = 369.5

Mids/Highs AMP : SKAR RP1k 60% efficiency = 1400 watts / 13.8 = 101

I will be doing 2 runs of 2/0 from the front secondary d3400 to the rear distribution block. I calculated I will need 2x450-475 amp anl fuses up front for the 2 runs to the rear, my question is at the distribution block should I also use 450 amp anl fuses for the amp? The amp will have dual inputs, I will go to 1/0 gauge at the terminal block to the dual amp inputs. 

And then I will run a smaller ANL fuse 100 amp anl for my mids/highs 1k amp at the distribution block since it will be 4 ga after the block and calls for 100 amps.

So basically im open for any opinions, I am just trying to make sure my calculations look right and I have dotted my I's and crossed my T's so to speak. Any help / input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cole !

And I plan to do a build thread, maybe if I'm really feeling spicy a youtube recap. It will be in a 2009 gmc sierra extended cab, rear seat delete, custom stain work for floor and box by my good friend who does custom wood working. Goal will just be a fun daily driver system, would be cool to hit 145-150 db !

Sounds like a cool system! 

As far as the fusing up front, check the rating of the cable you're using. If I'm not mistaken, which I could be, I think most 2/0 car audio OFC is rated for 400 amps. I would double check that and fuse accordingly. 

As far as the distribution block, it's a good idea to fuse there as well, but don't worry about fusing to the rating of the wire. I'm not super familiar with the CAB amplifiers, but I'm guessing they don't have any internal fusing to protect the circuit board. In the rear fuse block, I would fuse to whatever the manufacturer says to fuse to. That way, if something where to go wrong, and you have to send it back, the manufacturer can't say you did anything wrong, because you did it how they wanted it done. 

If it has dual inputs (just as an example) if the fuse rating for the amp is 400 amps, use a 200 amp fuse on each run. So it equals 400.

And once you get the 370 alternator. 2 runs of 1/0 OFC from the alt to the battery should be sufficient. 1 run of 2/0 might not be enough. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thanks for the help ! I will definitely do the 2x 1/0 runs with the new alternator. The cab 4500 does not have dual inputs, since I will have the 2x 2/0 runs from secondary front battery to rear distro block, I was going to use dual amp inputs, but now im thinking I will just use 1x 2/0 off the distro block and use 2/0 to 1/0 reducer in the amp.

Unless you think it would be more beneficial to to dual 1/0 runs off distro block to amp. 

Recap: 2x 2/0 runs front to back distribution block, and then ether 1x 2/0ga into amp, or run 2x1/0 runs off distribution block to dual amp inputs.

And on the ground bar, going to grommet under truck and do frame ground in rear, and have chassis ground in cab. Thanks!

1 hour ago, CMcLane816 said:

Thanks for the help ! I will definitely do the 2x 1/0 runs with the new alternator. The cab 4500 does not have dual inputs, since I will have the 2x 2/0 runs from secondary front battery to rear distro block, I was going to use dual amp inputs, but now im thinking I will just use 1x 2/0 off the distro block and use 2/0 to 1/0 reducer in the amp.

Unless you think it would be more beneficial to to dual 1/0 runs off distro block to amp. 

Recap: 2x 2/0 runs front to back distribution block, and then ether 1x 2/0ga into amp, or run 2x1/0 runs off distribution block to dual amp inputs.

And on the ground bar, going to grommet under truck and do frame ground in rear, and have chassis ground in cab. Thanks!

Sounds like a solid plan to me! 

1 hour ago, CMcLane816 said:

Honestly thinking about it here for a second, Ill just do dual 2/0 to 1/0 amp input, more power she can get the better. and it really takes no extra time

You can never have too much. I've seen results from people using the reducers on YouTube pulling a little more wattage, but making the amp quite a bit more efficient as well in the process. Sold me on using them in my build. Can't wait to see yours bud! 

IDK if im over thinking this but, but im confused at the distro block. I will have the 2 runs of 2/0 fused at 450 each front front battery to rear distribution block.

I am planning on using the smd quad anl fuse holder, I will use 250 amp fuses on on each run into amp for the dual inputs, where im confused is I have to power my mids/highs amp can I just put a 150amp fuse on an open spot on the smd quad for that amp and run my 4ga to it? Or would that fuse blow beacause there is so much current into the block? This may be a dumb question but worth asking before im trying to smooth sail install everything.

My original plan was to have the 2/0 on the first and third post on the input side and sandwich the 4ga on the 2nd post on the output side with the smaller fuse?

Does that sound correct or am I missing something, I really appreciate the help!

All those spots are separated so you would have to run another wire

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Just run 4 gauge wire from distro or back battery fuse it then to the amp the wire that runs to the amp will only pull however much the amp pulls threw that wire if u get what I mean

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

The block distributes the power where it needs to go

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

With those distribution blocks, if you look closely, there's a side with a solid metal (aluminum or copper, depending on which one you get) and on the other side, it's not solid. 

If you have the 2 2/0 gauge wires on the solid side of the block, then you put fuses and run your wrote to the amplifiers as you need. 

You have 4 spots, so yes, you can put whatever fuse, in whatever slot, with whatever cable size you need. Doesn't matter if they're all the same, or different. 

They won't pop the smaller fuses because the amp is what's pulling the power through the fuse (kind of). 

Archived