Second Skin Audio

Budget sub for 500w RMS

CorNut

I'm doing a simple install for a buddy's gf. We ordered some Infinity Reference mids and a Skar 900.5 to power them and a sub. Dynos show a 500w output on the sub channel.

I was looking for something pretty plain, Kicker CompR came to mind but they seem to cost a lot more than I remember. This isn't an SPL build by any means but we'd like something that doesn't need a lot of power & still give a decent output.

It's going in a 2012 Scion tC

Skar has 1 I think DC has 1 depends on what you want

Screenshot_20210906-204809_Chrome.jpg

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

I was under the impression Sundown was pretty much all designed to be ported except SD3 & SD-4 series, is that not the case? I didn't think Sundown was an option but I'll entertain the E series, I'll start reading up on them.

I've only ran an SA series and it was disappointing until I made a good ported box.

42 minutes ago, CorNut said:

I'm doing a simple install for a buddy's gf. We ordered some Infinity Reference mids and a Skar 900.5 to power them and a sub. Dynos show a 500w output on the sub channel.

I was looking for something pretty plain, Kicker CompR came to mind but they seem to cost a lot more than I remember. This isn't an SPL build by any means but we'd like something that doesn't need a lot of power & still give a decent output.

I'll be building a simple sealed/wedge enclosure for her, she doesn't want to lose much space. 

It's going in a 2012 Scion tC

What size? 8? 10? 12?

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

26 minutes ago, CorNut said:

I was under the impression Sundown was pretty much all designed to be ported except SD3 & SD-4 series, is that not the case? I didn't think Sundown was an option but I'll entertain the E series, I'll start reading up on them.

I've only ran an SA series and it was disappointing until I made a good ported box.

Yea u got me I didn't look sealed isn't recommended for that sub I have 2 sa v2 12s I'm not disappointed 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

45 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Yea u got me I didn't look sealed isn't recommended for that sub I have 2 sa v2 12s I'm not disappointed 

Sundown is well regarded, they're hard to beat the more I learn about them. I assume yours are ported though? I'm thinking she's going to be ok with a ported enclosure, I haven't checked the specs yet but if it'll pair up well with the enclosure I already have a design for (it was an SA-10) we'll consider that route.

48 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

What size? 8? 10? 12?

The SA that was disappointing until I built it a ported box? If that, it's the SA-8 v2 and it's still sounding great (for its size) today. 

If you mean what I'm after, I'm guessing either a 10 or a 12 and I think he convinced her to entertain the idea of a ported enclosure. I sent them pics of this one I built for a different sub. It's relatively small and will mate up well against the backside of her seat. I guess I lied too, that was built for an SA-10 so I've done a second Sundown, plus I did a 10" SD-4 so I've done at least 3 sundown enclosures when I think about it.

-1295892695506998019.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-124802_Drive.jpg

• CorNut changed the title to Budget sub for 500w RMS

Yea I got a pre fab box rn gotta built a custom 1 after I get a design 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

43 minutes ago, CorNut said:

Sundown is well regarded, they're hard to beat the more I learn about them. I assume yours are ported though? I'm thinking she's going to be ok with a ported enclosure, I haven't checked the specs yet but if it'll pair up well with the enclosure I already have a design for (it was an SA-10) we'll consider that route.

The SA that was disappointing until I built it a ported box? If that, it's the SA-8 v2 and it's still sounding great (for its size) today. 

If you mean what I'm after, I'm guessing either a 10 or a 12 and I think he convinced her to entertain the idea of a ported enclosure. I sent them pics of this one I built for a different sub. It's relatively small and will mate up well against the backside of her seat. I guess I lied too, that was built for an SA-10 so I've done a second Sundown, plus I did a 10" SD-4 so I've done at least 3 sundown enclosures when I think about it.

-1295892695506998019.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-124802_Drive.jpg

Yeah, I was curious what size you wanted. Here's a couple recommendations

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/i-series-10-500rms-subwoofer-by-incriminator-audio/

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-level-2-10/

Even a DC level 1 would work with that amp in a sealed enclosure

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-level-1-10/

Basically, if you look at the QTS rating in the T/S parameters, if it's above say .47ish, that speaker usually performs better in a sealed enclosure. Below that, they perform better in ported enclosure. And above .65 are for infinite baffle applications. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

37 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If you look at the QTS rating in the T/S parameters, if it's above say .47ish, that speaker usually performs better in a sealed enclosure. Below that, they perform better in ported

Thank you, that's good knowledge to have even though I don't understand QTS

Archived