*NEW BUILD* / *First "bigger" Build* 2009 GMC Sierrra SUB BUILD

13 hours ago, CMcLane816 said:

Here are some pics of the setup currently. The phoenix gold amp will be coming out when new subs and amp go in as well as the red 4 ga wire, its just all i had left to use for the time being. The new sub box will basically fill up the majority of that platform. New amp will go on the back wall. Will be fine tuning here until box is done.

truck audio 12.png

truck audio 11.png

truck audio 10.png

truck audio 9.png

truck audio 8.png

truck audio 7.png

truck audio 6.png

truck audio 5.png

truck audio 4.png

truck audio2.png

truck audio.png

truck audio 3.png

What kind of subs are you planning on running?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BLUE COLLAR MISFIT said:

What kind of subs are you planning on running?

My plan is 2x skar vxf 15s. I honestly went all over the market, sundown, skar, and dc audio is where I was narrowed down to, I feel for my first bigger build, talking with people, and for the value skar was the choise for me. If i was going with dc or sundown i would do 1 high end either lvl5/6 or zv6. But you are still spending twice as much as 2 vxf, which in my opinion sound good. Maybe down the road get crazy who knows. I just build a custom PC so i dont wanna shell out another 2.2k on a couple subs.

5 hours ago, CMcLane816 said:

My plan is 2x skar vxf 15s. I honestly went all over the market, sundown, skar, and dc audio is where I was narrowed down to, I feel for my first bigger build, talking with people, and for the value skar was the choise for me. If i was going with dc or sundown i would do 1 high end either lvl5/6 or zv6. But you are still spending twice as much as 2 vxf, which in my opinion sound good. Maybe down the road get crazy who knows. I just build a custom PC so i dont wanna shell out another 2.2k on a couple subs.

I know what you mean I really want to do 2 21s in my truck but don’t feel like spending $1000-1200 in 2 subs right now been looking at either sundown sa 18” or crescendo forte or maybe psi platform 1 18

8 hours ago, CMcLane816 said:

Those would all be good options, honestly I like the dc audio level 3/4 is a nice sounding sub. I am on a 2x sub kick. A lot of companies are putting out a good product. I have a hard time making decisions tho lmao ! 

Lol I know what you mean. I wonder how the Skar vfx 18s would do a lot of people use Skar and a lot of people say they are just skarbage 

10 hours ago, BLUE COLLAR MISFIT said:

Lol I know what you mean. I wonder how the Skar vfx 18s would do a lot of people use Skar and a lot of people say they are just skarbage 

I would say way more positive especially in recent years. I have skar fsx mids, skar tweets and rp amp. They sound and perform fantastic. I just installed an EVL 12 w/ a RP1500 in my boys trunk and it sound and performs fantastic. EVL/VFX are good subs from Skar. Thats just my 2 cents tho

• 1 month later...

Okay guys I need a little input so I can make a decision. I have everything basically ready to go I just have to make a decision on an amplifier. I was set on the cab 4500, then tar amps dropped the smart 5k and a guy I met has 2 vxf 15s on the smart 5k and it absolutely slams. So I’m kinda torn right now between cab 45, smart 5k, bass 5k, or skar rp45. Any input is greatly appreciated.

24 minutes ago, CMcLane816 said:

Okay guys I need a little input so I can make a decision. I have everything basically ready to go I just have to make a decision on an amplifier. I was set on the cab 4500, then tar amps dropped the smart 5k and a guy I met has 2 vxf 15s on the smart 5k and it absolutely slams. So I’m kinda torn right now between cab 45, smart 5k, bass 5k, or skar rp45. Any input is greatly appreciated.

My vote is for any of those except the bass 5k. 

The cab and the skar are solid half bridge designs that do rated and then some. 

The smart 5k will do a little over rated at 1 and 2 ohm, then a little less at 4. The people whom have gotten the smart 3 love it. I haven't spoken to anyone who has gotten the smart 5k yet. 

I just feel like if the smart 5k is an option, there's no need to consider any other full bridge amplifier. Unless Sundown comes out with a 5k SIA amplifier, which they don't have yet. 

That's my opinion anyway

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

22 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

My vote is for any of those except the bass 5k. 

The cab and the skar are solid half bridge designs that do rated and then some. 

The smart 5k will do a little over rated at 1 and 2 ohm, then a little less at 4. The people whom have gotten the smart 3 love it. I haven't spoken to anyone who has gotten the smart 5k yet. 

I just feel like if the smart 5k is an option, there's no need to consider any other full bridge amplifier. Unless Sundown comes out with a 5k SIA amplifier, which they don't have yet. 

That's my opinion anyway

Yeah the only full bridge I would do is the smart 5k. I honestly was looking at the internals of the cab and the skar rp and the skars build just looks rock solid. They both looks good tho. Full bridge is newer for me, half bridge is tried and true, but the smart 3k has undeniable reliability. Sooo I’m torn lmfao. I will share this video from the guy I was talking with. 

Archived