Sonic Electronix

6 minutes ago, TaylorB said:

if i have a skar skv2 - 4500.1  WITH A 450 AMP FUSE RATING and it has two power inputs but im using dual inputs on each power input (2 1/0 to 1/0 reducer) what size fuse do i use on each power wire?

Some people choose to the wire even when going into the amplifier. Which is fine. That would be a 350-400a fuse per run. I like to do it to the manufacturers specifications so if you need to send it back for any reason, they can't tell you that you installed it incorrectly. 

So, me personally, I would put a 150-200a fuse on each run because I've never seen a 115a ANL fuse

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thinking about it from a safety standpoint you'd want to fuse to the manufacturer's specifications. Meaning that you'd be looking for 4 117.5a fuses (which don't exist). Skar actually has their own 120a fuses you could do though. The reason you'd want to do this is so that if the amplifier tries pulling more amperage than it's rated for you should pop the fuses before damaging the amp. If you're only fusing to protect the cables being shorted between the battery-amp connection though then probably just fuse to the size of the wire which would be 300a most likely. 

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

450 is total pull, of the board. you could add 400 lines/runs to the amp, ...and no you would NOT fuse each one with a 450 amp fuse. Lets be a bit smart here. 

Edit- then fuse each with 100amp. You wont ever pull total amperage anyway, unless your wired down, and compete. The 450, is TOTAL pull.... and you on a music, in a ride, wont ever see that. Hell fuse each run at 75 amps, and i bet you dont blow them.  Do you even have 400amps to give? (with your alt, and whatever reserve/battery ????)

second edit - coming from a guy, that doesnt even fuse his amps....... your protecting the wire,... not the amp. Going by there recommended,.... meh...  if you blow it, and they ask "did you fuse it?"... is just stupid. But Kevin over there at skar, may be that stupid. 

Cheers, and good luck. 

18 hours ago, Sergeant_Skyrim said:

Thinking about it from a safety standpoint you'd want to fuse to the manufacturer's specifications. Meaning that you'd be looking for 4 117.5a fuses (which don't exist). Skar actually has their own 120a fuses you could do though. The reason you'd want to do this is so that if the amplifier tries pulling more amperage than it's rated for you should pop the fuses before damaging the amp. If you're only fusing to protect the cables being shorted between the battery-amp connection though then probably just fuse to the size of the wire which would be 300a most likely. 

A amp doesnt ever "pull more amperage than its rated for" , unless something MAKES it pull more IE - its fucked. Like the power supply shits the bed. A board CANT just magically pull more amperage, unless, something is wrong. And in that event, the board is toast anyway. Cool?

On 10/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Kyblack76 said:

A amp doesnt ever "pull more amperage than its rated for" , unless something MAKES it pull more IE - its fucked. Like the power supply shits the bed. A board CANT just magically pull more amperage, unless, something is wrong. And in that event, the board is toast anyway. Cool?

Correct, but maybe only one the power supply shits the bed and fuses blow before more damage is done to the amp. Cool?

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

23 hours ago, Sergeant_Skyrim said:

Correct, but maybe only one the power supply shits the bed and fuses blow before more damage is done to the amp. Cool?

Then the amp is fucked regardless. 

Cool?

Edit- so your sending the board in regardless. Also, what amps have multiple power supplies? Also, its usually a fett , or the like that shits the bed, in that case, the person rebuilding it, should replace all of them, not just the 1 or 4 .

Cool?

Another edit- and any board, and i mean ANY, that takes more amperage than called for, is broke. A amp cant just magically DEMAND more amperage. (Unless its broke) Thats now how it works, even in the slightest. 

Cool.?

Why is this so complicated?

125a fuse on each wire, done.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/anl-fuses/

- Fuse close to the battery

- Don't use "set screw" fuse holders, they WILL work loose. Get the bolt down ones and put ring terminals on there.

No fuses needed just run it on hopes and dreams

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400