suggestions on mids and highs for new sq build

derretido

hi everyone, havent really been on a forum for a very long time, i been out of the scene for a while and i am pleased to find all sorts of new brands and pretty excited to start this build on my tahoe, so far my build is fairly simple:

-sony XAV-AX5000

-jl hd 750/1

-jl 10" w6v3 on a sealed custom enclosure

-jl hd 400/4

i was looking into focal's performance line, seems a bit pricey but sound amazing, i been reading about american bass symphony's and some other brands that look promising at a better price, what would you suggest for crisp clean components?

My favorite components I've ever ran are my Memphis VIV's. 

I can tell you all the "big names" in "sound quality", but the honest truth is, what sounds good is very subjective. You won't know if it sounds good to you until you hear them. I loved my VIV's, but you might hate them. You might prefer Focal, or Hertz, Audio Frog, or one of the other brands that focus more on SQ. Truth is, they all sound different. 

Some things to improve sounds inside your car are sound deadening! That's a good deal. Also, you can get a DSP and an RTA and tune your system the way you prefer. Audio Control makes great products that will help with this. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

My favorite components I've ever ran are my Memphis VIV's. 

I can tell you all the "big names" in "sound quality", but the honest truth is, what sounds good is very subjective. You won't know if it sounds good to you until you hear them. I loved my VIV's, but you might hate them. You might prefer Focal, or Hertz, Audio Frog, or one of the other brands that focus more on SQ. Truth is, they all sound different. 

Some things to improve sounds inside your car are sound deadening! That's a good deal. Also, you can get a DSP and an RTA and tune your system the way you prefer. Audio Control makes great products that will help with this. 

This ^

More often than not, install quality will make or break sound quality. 

1k $ speakers in a stock door sound like 50$ speakers. Try to catch sound deadening companies on a sale, secondskin always has season sales every now and then 10-15% off. 

My subjective opinion for budget SQ are Kappas but I think I'm in the minority when it comes to that, most people dislike their tweeters. Are you planning to bridge, do rear fill or run active up front? If it were me, I'd consider a 3-way component set if it's doable with minimal modification in your vehicle. That typically isn't the case, are you trying to utilize factory speaker locations or going custom?

Like previously mentioned, sound deadening is the most important part of a SQ setup. I tend to use Fast Rings in addition to sound deadening, they run you around $20/set. My go-to sound deadening is Noico 80mil, it's butyl based & inexpensive. I'm sure there's better deadener out there but my ears can't discern the difference. I do all flat surfaces in the trunk/hatch & doors, larger flat areas I'll do a second layer. With doing 2 layers it's still less expensive than 1-layer of most the big name stuff.

I love SQ but I wouldn't consider myself a full on SQ guy. 

• 8 months later...
10 hours ago, Turbo598 said:

Take a look at BLAM speakers. The head engineer from Focal left and started his own company. The name BLAM sounds gay but it stands for Bonneville Labs and more.

They are really nice.

Bonneville Labs sounded just fine, anyways why would you take BLAM over focal or the others?

The BLAM speakers sound better to me in sided by side comparisions than focal, Brax, Audiofrog.

I am not shilling for BLAM. Buy what you like. Just pointing out a new quality SQ speaker manufacturer that has not been brought into the mainstream yet. If you get an opportunity to hear them you will not be disappointed.

Archived