Second Skin Audio

My boxes suck

Shmeat

Been creepin here for a while, you guys are the best! finally decided I need to chime in and get some advice specific to my build. I'm not a jerk who's going to ignore good advice or argue even if it's not what I want to hear.

I'm currently running a fully loaded FI Q18 ferrite, 1750rms not the 1000rms older model, which is mostly what I find builds on, unfortunately. It is powered by a Taramps smart 3, which is fed by a pioneer avh120bt. Recently upgraded from a skar rp1500. My electrical is 1/0 SHCA ofc for everything, big 3 done plus some additional frame to body grounds. I have a lot of dimming issues (at idle my lights actually shut off to feed the amp depending on the song) I have a 300 amp alt in the mail and an AGM going into the back seat. So that's presumably taken care of, I hope lol. All this is in a 2002 crew cab F250.

I do realize I bought a SQ sub. I f'd up. Possibly. I'm also 31 with a stable job and capable with wood, just not the best with the math I'll admit. so this isn't the typical I'm 17 and have a bunch of cool shit in my shopping cart on ebay post I see a lot (alot)

Im disappointed with my output. I know it will possibly get better with the alt and battery but man, I've been messing with boxes, wasting money on mdf and I'm never happy. First I built a 7.5 cube ported box with a slot port, it was cool cause of first 18 build but pretty meh, I've had a similar experience with a mtx 12 for a quarter of the price lol. Next Built a 9 cube box with an 8" aeroport tuned around 33hz and it bangs, but seemed kinda "burpy" and one note also took up the whole backseat, messed with that one for a long time, even started taking up volume with bricks siliconed in place haha. My most recent box is a 3.9 cube sealed, this was mostly just to try to get some "tight" bass and reclaim some backseat. Well, it f'in sucks. Super boring. But my backseat is usable.

If anyone has a direction to go im all ears, if I need to get something higher rms for my needs I will. I'll put the 18 In my house setup, But I waited 3 months for this sub and it's pretty, I'd like to make it work. But if not, oh well. I'd like to retain some backseat but not totally necessary, I mainly want this thing to Wang like it should. I also need some hu suggestions, double din, physical volume knob and more than 2v on the preouts, glass touch screen preferred but not necessary. Thanks for any advice!

U could always try a 6 cu ft ported box the specs on it say 5-7 cu ft you could use a box designing software that shows how it would be or have 1 designed for u like I did or u could buy a dsp and adjust it how u want. I have a pioneer avh 521ex it has 4v outputs and is touch screen not to expensive and works great for what u need it for

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Your lights and possibly the sound u are getting is most likely voltage drop new alt and a second battery will help with that I hear taramps are power hungry little amps

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

8 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

U could always try a 6 cu ft ported box the specs on it say 5-7 cu ft you could use a box designing software that shows how it would be or have 1 designed for u like I did or u could buy a dsp and adjust it how u want. I have a pioneer avh 521ex it has 4v outputs and is touch screen not to expensive and works great for what u need it for

That's what I meant by I'm bad at the math, the online software is so foreign to me, I've tried to grasp it but I'm bad lol. I'm not asking to be spoonfed necessarily but  I'm just tired of building boxes I don't use lol. Going 6 cubes isn't a bad idea but should I go areo? Slot? I still have my aero kicking around. It's a bitch getting a big ported box in and out of an f250 on 37s by myself lol 

Edit. I'll add that I had that 9 cube box filled with bricks until it was around 7 and it still seemed kinda farty..

It's what u like give me some dimensions u can work with and I'll see what I can do I paid for a design from Mark at custom audio fabrications just so I know it's gonna be a good box and yea I bet that is a pain in the ass trust me try not thinking and putting the subs in the box in your upstairs apartment and have to carry it down by yourself remember that thing weighs 200lbs easy lol and check out that hu I'm talking about it's only like $300 at best buy

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Did u try subbox pro u can mess around with everything till u find something u like

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

2 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

It's what u like give me some dimensions u can work with and I'll see what I can do I paid for a design from Mark at custom audio fabrications just so I know it's gonna be a good box and yea I bet that is a pain in the ass trust me try not thinking and putting the subs in the box in your upstairs apartment and have to carry it down by yourself remember that thing weighs 200lbs easy lol and check out that hu I'm talking about it's only like $300 at best buy

I'm definitely gonna check out the hu, I do like my pioneers. And I'm not against paying for a design, I've looked into it but there's so many guys doing it I don't know who's actually worth it and who's throwing out generic junk. I can't do any measuring right now but I can tomorrow. I should know my available dimensions by heart by now tho 

And yah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with stairs haha

I can't help you with the box. I had mine designed by a professional (4 12" FI Q's but with the neo motors). I can't figure out the designing software to save my butt 🤣

Some things I do know though.....

A lot of times, when someone isn't getting the output they think they should be, it could be a simple as box placement. You want the port to be firing or loading off another surface before it hits you. 

Also, I don't think your electrical is up for the challenge. I would purchase an in dash volt meter, so you can monitor the voltage at the amp. Usually, people with those smart 3's, I've seen have an upgraded alt and 2 AGM's. Or one lithium. 

I've also read horror stories about people with the Ford trucks with the aluminum bodies and the electrical acting up.... but I think yours is older than all that. 

As far as the head unit, pioneer are good decks, but off the top of my head, I don't think they have an analog type volume control. Kenwood makes some good ones as well, with a dial volume control. 

What I did was I bought an Audio Control Three.2. Along with having a master, analog style volume knob, it has a bunch of other cool features as well. 

My advise, I know it's not necessarily economical, but I'd ditch the backseat, go subs and port up. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 minutes ago, Shmeat said:

I'm definitely gonna check out the hu, I do like my pioneers. And I'm not against paying for a design, I've looked into it but there's so many guys doing it I don't know who's actually worth it and who's throwing out generic junk. I can't do any measuring right now but I can tomorrow. I should know my available dimensions by heart by now tho 

And yah, I'm glad I don't have to deal with stairs haha

I'd go with a designer that is known in the install world someone who is reputable there's Mark who I went with there's jp from down4sound I'm not sure if Steve Meade does them or not but would definitely pick someone know for doing it Mark gave me a airflow chart and a tfm chart with my design and he made it perfect for a contractor to be able to build

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt