Second Skin Audio

My boxes suck

Shmeat

22 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I can't help you with the box. I had mine designed by a professional (4 12" FI Q's but with the neo motors). I can't figure out the designing software to save my butt 🤣

Some things I do know though.....

A lot of times, when someone isn't getting the output they think they should be, it could be a simple as box placement. You want the port to be firing or loading off another surface before it hits you. 

Also, I don't think your electrical is up for the challenge. I would purchase an in dash volt meter, so you can monitor the voltage at the amp. Usually, people with those smart 3's, I've seen have an upgraded alt and 2 AGM's. Or one lithium. 

I've also read horror stories about people with the Ford trucks with the aluminum bodies and the electrical acting up.... but I think yours is older than all that. 

As far as the head unit, pioneer are good decks, but off the top of my head, I don't think they have an analog type volume control. Kenwood makes some good ones as well, with a dial volume control. 

What I did was I bought an Audio Control Three.2. Along with having a master, analog style volume knob, it has a bunch of other cool features as well. 

My advise, I know it's not necessarily economical, but I'd ditch the backseat, go subs and port up. 

100% agree on the electrical, it is not up to snuff yet. I'm waiting to order a SHCA bass knob with volt meter. I'm not a sky high fanboy but there's not alot of rca bass knobs out there. Would the voltmeter on that be good enough? there's not as much info on the web as there seemed to be 10 years ago. After I have my gains set(which I do now with a multimeter, I don't have access to an oscope) I'd like to be able to dial it back for when I have older passengers or whatever. 

28 minutes ago, Shmeat said:

100% agree on the electrical, it is not up to snuff yet. I'm waiting to order a SHCA bass knob with volt meter. I'm not a sky high fanboy but there's not alot of rca bass knobs out there. Would the voltmeter on that be good enough? there's not as much info on the web as there seemed to be 10 years ago. After I have my gains set(which I do now with a multimeter, I don't have access to an oscope) I'd like to be able to dial it back for when I have older passengers or whatever. 

That will work but the dash 1 would be better unless your gonna grab that bass knob every time you wanna check voltage you could also run both

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

1 hour ago, Shmeat said:

Those volt meters on the bass knobs will work. I prefer a mounted one just for ease of being able to see it. 

There are a lot of RCA bass knobs out there. You just have to know where to look, but then again, a SHCA bass knob are high quality, so why keep looking lol. 

I'm not trying to steer you in any particular way, you know what you like, but off it where me, I'd use the bass knob that came with the smart 3 and an in dash volt meter. The smart 3 bass knob has a clip light. So you know of you're clipping or not. Comes in handy. 

The SMD VM-1 is the best volt meter I know of. It detects quick drops that other volt meters don't pick up. They're kind of on the expensive side, but worth it. If you're on a budget, I've heard nothing but good things about the blue Stinger volt meter. I think those are something like $20.

But again, the SHCA bass knob/ volt meter will absolutely work. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Those volt meters on the bass knobs will work. I prefer a mounted one just for ease of being able to see it. 

There are a lot of RCA bass knobs out there. You just have to know where to look, but then again, a SHCA bass knob are high quality, so why keep looking lol. 

I'm not trying to steer you in any particular way, you know what you like, but off it where me, I'd use the bass knob that came with the smart 3 and an in dash volt meter. The smart 3 bass knob has a clip light. So you know of you're clipping or not. Comes in handy. 

The SMD VM-1 is the best volt meter I know of. It detects quick drops that other volt meters don't pick up. They're kind of on the expensive side, but worth it. If you're on a budget, I've heard nothing but good things about the blue Stinger volt meter. I think those are something like $20.

But again, the SHCA bass knob/ volt meter will absolutely work. 

I have a blue stinger and a volt meter from d4s they both work good

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400