Sonic Electronix

New build is having an issue and I can't seem to troubleshoot it

Yea cause now u won't be using bass boost or anything like that only your eq and lpf hpf so there's no distortion just turn everything flat and off on the headunit and see where u like it at it's loudest and then set it from there

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Yea cause now u won't be using bass boost or anything like that only your eq and lpf hpf so there's no distortion just turn everything flat and off on the headunit and see where u like it at it's loudest and then set it from there

Ok, thank you so much. I will be stopping at Menards tomorrow after work to get a DMM and ring terminals and I will try everything you have suggested and I will let you know!

Do a little research on how to set the gains with the dmm 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

What size speaker wire is that going to your sub? It looks really small. That also can be choking the power.

Make sure your head unit isn't using any crossovers that might have accidentally been set wrong by accident. 

After you set your gains with that DMM, slap for a minute and check your voltage at your amplifier. Make sure you're not drawing too much power and dipping to low in voltage. 

It doesn't look like you cleaned the paint off that ground at all. Also, a bolt and washers will make that ground way tighter, thus a better conductor. 

I didn't read you did, but if you haven't, do the big 3 upgrade. 

And however you usually play music, play your test tone through that, through the head unit. Both at about 3/4 volume to make sure you're not sending distortion from either the head unit or the source unit. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

What size speaker wire is that going to your sub? It looks really small. That also can be choking the power.

Make sure your head unit isn't using any crossovers that might have accidentally been set wrong by accident. 

After you set your gains with that DMM, slap for a minute and check your voltage at your amplifier. Make sure you're not drawing too much power and dipping to low in voltage. 

It doesn't look like you cleaned the paint off that ground at all. Also, a bolt and washers will make that ground way tighter, thus a better conductor. 

And however you usually play music, play your test tone through that, through the head unit. Both at about 3/4 volume to make sure you're not sending distortion from either the head unit or the source unit. 

I just ordered some knukoncept karma ss 8 gauge 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

On 10/18/2021 at 7:05 PM, Dafaseles said:

So the speaker wire is 12 ga knukonceptz. I just got home and hardwired them directly to the amp bypassing any terminals. I also grinding down the paint on myground location and secured it with proper nuts and bolts and washers. It is maybe 5% louder than before and clearly something is still wrong :(

I have yet to have the time to mess around with the dmm. That will have to be tomorrow.

What size inline fuse should i be using? The website says 100 but my last, much older and less powerful amp was running with a 200a inline fuse. Could this be my issue?

20211019_172719.jpg

No that just protects the wire

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

1 hour ago, PooThenPee said:

So the speaker wire is 12 ga knukonceptz. I just got home and hardwired them directly to the amp bypassing any terminals. I also grinding down the paint on myground location and secured it with proper nuts and bolts and washers. It is maybe 5% louder than before and clearly something is still wrong :(

I have yet to have the time to mess around with the dmm. That will have to be tomorrow.

What size inline fuse should i be using? The website says 100 but my last, much older and less powerful amp was running with a 200a inline fuse. Could this be my issue?

20211019_172719.jpg

That ground looks a million times better, but once you bring the DMM out, I would also check that location and make sure it's a good grounding location (videos on YouTube will show you how to do this). Just because it's think sheet metal, if it's a welded piece, or maybe some other reason, it might not be a good conductor.

I can't see how long your ground cable is, but make sure it's as short as possible. If you can find a good, maybe even better grounding location closer to the amp, that's always better. Best would be going to the frame. 

It didn't mention anywhere if you had the big 3 done in your car. If you haven't, or I just missed it, you should do that as well. Since your ground is connected to the chassis, a nice, thick wire from the battery negative to the chassis would be a good idea as well. 

To that amp, that's 4 ga right? The ground as well? OFC cable? Again, sorry if you had mentioned this before, I just didn't see it. 

And I would definitely up that wire going to the subs to 8 ga. There's a lot of current needing to flow through that to get to your subs. 

The fuse isn't a problem. If you haven't popped it, your amp isn't trying to consistently draw more than it can handle. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

11 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

That ground looks a million times better, but once you bring the DMM out, I would also check that location and make sure it's a good grounding location (videos on YouTube will show you how to do this). Just because it's think sheet metal, if it's a welded piece, or maybe some other reason, it might not be a good conductor.

I can't see how long your ground cable is, but make sure it's as short as possible. If you can find a good, maybe even better grounding location closer to the amp, that's always better. Best would be going to the frame. 

It didn't mention anywhere if you had the big 3 done in your car. If you haven't, or I just missed it, you should do that as well. Since your ground is connected to the chassis, a nice, thick wire from the battery negative to the chassis would be a good idea as well. 

To that amp, that's 4 ga right? The ground as well? OFC cable? Again, sorry if you had mentioned this before, I just didn't see it. 

And I would definitely up that wire going to the subs to 8 ga. There's a lot of current needing to flow through that to get to your subs. 

The fuse isn't a problem. If you haven't popped it, your amp isn't trying to consistently draw more than it can handle. 

Ok i will try out the dmm tomorrow. My power and ground are 0 ga. My last system was much weaker and was installed by a shop years ago so i have a feeling i will need to do all these upgrades to get the power im expecting. 

These are my battery terminals, the power was just ran from the small stud and there is nothing added to the negative stud. Can i just add a 0 ga from the neg to the chassis and try that? Otherwise I'll have to order more to do the entire big 3, which i will at some point. 20211019_210446.thumb.jpg.64a6ea8128003ad73357ac2419965b4f.jpg

Chassis to engine block I did mine right to the alternator bracket and battery to chassis and positive battery to positive alternator 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt