Sonic Electronix

Some details about my vehicle.

It's a jeep wrangler, AGM battery, stock 160 amp alternator, kenwood 7706s hu, hertz hcp4d (4 channel 500 rms I think) cxa 800.1 to a Kicker 10" Q L7.

I'm thinking about adding a 2nd box and sub and amp, identical to the 1st one.

I'm still searching for the big 3 wiring kit (are they all the same?  Some have fuses and some don't, im not sure what I need).

Will my setup have any issues adding another amp and sub?

The reason I'm adding another sub, it feels like the sub is hitting a wall past 2/3 of the volume, doesn't seem to get louder but main speakers get louder.  No clipping, just not getting louder.  I've messed with the hz and gain, but if I set the gain any higher, too much bass at lower volumes.

Set the gains with a dmm adding more amps and subs won't matter as long as your electrical can handle it big 3 is power wire from alternator POS to battery pos u need ring terminals if you just buy wire neg battery to chassis again ring terminals then chassis to engine block I used my alternator bracket and again more ring terminals 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

- Honestly, you don't need a kit. You just need wires, ring terminals, fuse. Fuse should be placed on any positive wires coming off the battery, as close to the battery as is practical.

- How do you know you're not clipping?

- You might have better luck with 2 subs in a single box, as opposed to 2 smaller boxes

- Be mindful of your voltage drops

Also, the slightly less dirty way to set gains with DMM, though dd-1/oscope is still preferred:

Play a square wave through the amp at max volume / max gain. Measure voltage.

Convert peak to peak voltage you just measured to RMS, divide by sqrt(2)

Play sine wave and turn the gain to the voltage you just calculated

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

- Honestly, you don't need a kit. You just need wires, ring terminals, fuse. Fuse should be placed on any positive wires coming off the battery, as close to the battery as is practical.

- How do you know you're not clipping?

- You might have better luck with 2 subs in a single box, as opposed to 2 smaller boxes

- Be mindful of your voltage drops

53 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Also, the slightly less dirty way to set gains with DMM, though dd-1/oscope is still preferred:

Play a square wave through the amp at max volume / max gain. Measure voltage.

Convert peak to peak voltage you just measured to RMS, divide by sqrt(2)

Play sine wave and turn the gain to the voltage you just calculated

100% second all this.

Also, I second making sure to adjust the gains as correctly as you can (not by ear). That will help, at the very least, protect your equipment from failing early. But sometimes box positron plays a big role in sound reproduction. Try moving your box around a little and see if that helps. Try putting it closer to the back hatch (making sure you keep enough distance for the port to breath). try sub and port forward. Try sub and port up. Not saying it will definitely solve the problem, but it could help. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The gain on the mono amp is set pretty low, id say 20%.  

I want a separate box, so when I go camping, I can at least bring 1 box with me, keep the other in the garage.

I'm a beginner, so I don't understand any of the complicated stuff, and English is my 2nd language.

So I will order a big 3 kit, and a fuse (250?).

14 hours ago, 16jkur said:

The gain on the mono amp is set pretty low, id say 20%.  

I want a separate box, so when I go camping, I can at least bring 1 box with me, keep the other in the garage.

I'm a beginner, so I don't understand any of the complicated stuff, and English is my 2nd language.

So I will order a big 3 kit, and a fuse (250?).

250/300 is fine if you're using 0ga OFC. I'd suggest getting tinned copper / marine grade wire for under hood use. Will hold up better in the long term.

Gain value is... irrelevant. It's a ratio of input to output voltage. 5% or 95% makes no difference - the goal is to scale RCA voltage to output voltage. Wherever that value lands, is where you want it to be. Mind that there are 2 sources of user induced clipping here: One on the radio, and another on the amp. And they are additive. Some clipping on radio plus some clipping on amp = a lot of clipping sent to your drivers. No bueno.

first set your gains right, heres how.  the 0 db test tones are at the very bottom

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374120-Amplifier-Level-Setting-Guide

the equation to find the target voltage is... watts x impedance, and then square root that

example.  100x2 = 200, then square root that = 14.14

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

5 hours ago, nauc said:

first set your gains right, heres how.  the 0 db test tones are at the very bottom

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374120-Amplifier-Level-Setting-Guide

the equation to find the target voltage is... watts x impedance, and then square root that

example.  100x2 = 200, then square root that = 14.14

What if it's 1ohm cause 800×2 that way is 40v but 800×1 is only 28.28 doesn't seem like logic

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

12 hours ago, Never Enough Bass said:

What if it's 1ohm cause 800×2 that way is 40v but 800×1 is only 28.28 doesn't seem like logic

Power is V^2/R. An increase in voltage is also associated with an increase in amperage, which exponentially affects power. Think of it like water pressure: If you double the water pressure coming out of a hose, you'll also get more flow at that higher pressure.

Simpler way, that takes into account manufacturing error of the amplifier:

Note: Use this only if you don't have access to an oscope/dd-1. It's very dirty.. But better than doing it by some other arbitrary metric, or by doing spreadsheets (especially if the amp in question is over-rated)

1. Play a square wave at max gain (please disconnect your drivers). This will measure the peak to peak voltage of your amp - i.e. the rail voltage. Let's say... You measure 60v.

2. Turn everything down/off. Take that number you just got, and convert to RMS voltage by dividing by sqrt(2). So you'd take 60v/sqrt(2) = 42v

3. Play a sine wave at your desired amplitude (say -5db) and turn the gain up on your amp until your output voltage is 42v. Don't get excited and go higher - that's just clipping.

4. Hook your equipment back up

Archived