Sonic Electronix

I'm thinking about ordering audiofrog gb25.  So far, I can't find a lot of info on it.  I just its wideband.   200 to 20,000 hz I believe.

Does this need to be included into a crossover or just straight into an amp.

I was going to take out my coaxial speakers and add a tweeter and woofer (hertz), with a 2 way crossover.

How would the GB25 fit in?  Straight to amp?

Please help.

You can hook those up straight to an amplifier of you wish. They don't come with any type of passive crossover, so good have to set your HPF on your amplifier. But that's no big deal. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, 16jkur said:

Can it act as a tweeter?

I have no area to mount them, other than where the factory tweeter is.

Holy crap! Looked a little closer and yeah, they are midrange speakers. Those teeny tiny things lol. 

But, same deal. If you run them off the amplifier though, you'd need an amplifier capable of what's called a bandpass crossover. Meaning you can set a HPF (for those, no lower than 200 hz) and a low pass filter (for those, no higher than 16,000 hz). So you'll need some sort of mid bass speakers, and a set of tweeters to use those properly. 

So, those audio Frog midrange speakers are made to be integrated into an active 3 way setup. A dedicated midbass speaker, then those speakers, then a tweeter. 

Honestly, if you install that Hertz 2 way setup with the passive crossover, those audio Frog speakers are going to be playing all the frequencies that the Hertz 2 way setup will also be playing. When you start mixing different size drivers, playing the same frequencies, it's bad for sound quality. What can happen is trouble with blending all the speakers together to sound right. Basically, you can get weird peaks and valleys in your frequency response. 

Or you can install them and it might sound great to you. I'll leave that decision up to you.

But if you're not running a DSP, or active crossovers on your head unit going directly to those speakers and those speakers alone, or you can't have them on their own channel on the amplifier with a high pass and low pass filter being used, you're just going to end up blowing them from playing too low or too high of frequencies that those particular drivers where not made for. 

Well, the problem with that is, if the passive crossover you want to use has different parameters that the mixed drivers themselves don't like, you'll still end up messing up the equipment. There's really no exact way of knowing where a passive crossover network is set at, unless maybe you contact the manufacturer and they give you that information. 

Though those midrange speakers have a pretty broad response up to 16,000 hz. I would assume that Hertz (I'm assuming) 6.5" driver can handle down to 80 hz and up past 200 hz (but you might want to check how far down those drivers can play before you pick a passive crossover to use. If the passive crossover will send a frequency that's too low for that driver to handle, you'll blow it), and that tweeter can handle well below 16,000 hz(but the same goes for the tweeter. Make sure the tweeter can handle whatever HPF the passive crossover will send to the tweeter). I wound still try and verify where whatever 3 way passive crossover unit you decide to use is crossed over at for the 3 different drivers, but you might be ok.

It's just, using passive crossovers for speakers that that specific passive crossover wasn't designed for, bad things can happen if you don't verify everything

Archived