Second Skin Audio

Subs.sound like garbage

PhatRam

I'm limited on space 2016 Ram 2500 mega cab. I purchased a subthump box for with dual 12's. Each 1.2cu per chamber.  I bought the Skar SVR 12's along with a Skar RP2000 mono. On some the the notes it hits good but on the low's its super weak and it just does not sound right. I did the install myself. I'm not a professional by any means. I also installed the infinity Ref for my 6 speaker system running off of a alpine 4 channel 300w. I don't have any meters or an Oscope to dial it in. just by ear and lots of youtube videos. Im going to have to take it somewhere to to go through it if I cant figure it out myself. 

thanks

Well, most prefab boxes are tuned very high if it's ported. Is this box ported or sealed? 

Can you take a picture of the crossover settings on the amplifier? That would help us further help you as well

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The amplifier itself has crossovers. 

If you can't get your hands on a DD-1 (best) or an oscilloscope (good) then if you have a digital multimeter (DDM), you can set your gains properly. 

I'm not sure what settings that particular amp has, but with a sealed box, your HPF or your subsonic filter should be turned off, or set to 0, and your LPF should be set around 80 hz. 

Also, I don't know what head unit you're using, or if your using the stock unit with a line out converter, but make sure you don't have any crossovers set wrong on the head unit. If you're using a line out converter, some higher end units have their own gain settings. You also have to make sure that it adjusted properly as well. 

To add to using a line out converter, if you have a lower end model, the head unit can be sending out weird signals that the stock head unit uses to protect the crappy stock speakers. A higher end model, like an Audio Control LC7i can fix those, and make sure you're always sending a flat signal to the amplifier

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

If it's sealed how is it tuned to 34hz and there's lpf hpf or subsonic on the amp itself

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if you've solved any of your problems but I'd be willing to bet your head unit is sending limited signal on anything below 40 hz or so. As said above the stock HU limits those frequencies so it doesn't implode it's own stock speakers. 

i'd recommend looking into a sound processor or something to flatten and restore your lost lower frequencies. I had great results with a kicker KeyLoc, But you already have rcas out of the ap4 so you'll need something slightly different but with the same purpose. 

On 11/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, deon1818 said:

Not sure if you've solved any of your problems but I'd be willing to bet your head unit is sending limited signal on anything below 40 hz or so. As said above the stock HU limits those frequencies so it doesn't implode it's own stock speakers. 

i'd recommend looking into a sound processor or something to flatten and restore your lost lower frequencies. I had great results with a kicker KeyLoc, But you already have rcas out of the ap4 so you'll need something slightly different but with the same purpose. 

So I have the same issue with my 2017 Ram. I got 2 10TW3D4s in a MTI custom box that fits under the seat. I also did the amp pro. HD750 amp for subs. JD 400/4 for the doors.  Replaced all doors speakers with alpine S 6x9 2 ways And 3.5 infinity’s 2 ways in the dash. Wired at 4 ohms it sounds like shit. Sounds like a factory subwoofer or something. I did get an epicenter but it didn’t help much. Also haven’t tuned it yet but maybe that will help. 

If your running the oem head unit, that will be the issue. You could build a 11 cube enclosure, tuned to negative 97, and "tune" forever,... but if your source isnt even giving you those frequencies, then you are hosed. 

Shit in, shit out. 

deon1818 gets it. 

Archived