Lifepo4 vs Lto

I would not mix chemistries personally. It can greatly reduce the lifespan of the batteries because the resting voltages is different, so they would try and leach off each other in an attempt to rest at the same voltage. 

If I can't talk you out of it, at least use a battery isolator between the batteries. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:43 AM, SnowDrifter said:

Wouldn't even say for the win. They're just different beasts altogether.

To SUPER simplify it:

LiFePO4 is closer to a battery (energy density nearly double LTO)

LTO is closer to a capacitor - high draw / high charge capabilities, ridiculously high cycle count.

I avoided making any product recommendations... But tbh, for car audio beating, I'd probably veer to LTO if costs and space allow. IMO, it's a bit more suited for handling the high draw / high charge demands and cycle counts associated with our applications. Should see a better product lifetime. This is, assuming, you'll be playing with the car on.

If you want to park at a show, go engine off, and beat on the thing for an hour or 2, then I'd just toss together an 800+ah LiFePO4 bank. Else, LTO go brrrr

Some edits as I'm still waking up:

But this assumes equal opportunity to both product varieties.  It sounds like OP has good access to LiFePO4 cells which presents a pretty compelling cost argument. 128ah lithium iron phosphate battery for 700 bucks? Dude, you'd have to be insane to stick your nose up at that. Do it. DO IT.

Also, that key word... Build... Please, PLEASE get familiar with lithium chemistry and pitfalls. Use an externally regulated alt. Do NOT EVER over charge them. Use a BMS - make sure cells are balanced. You'll get good lifetime out of the things if you go easy on charging and stop short of full charge voltage - 80-90% SOC, as opposed to 100. If you're in a cold climate, insulate the things. Maybe install a heater in the pack so they don't freeze. Don't forget ventilation for the hot months as heat realllllly reduces lifetime of these things.

Feel free to post back here or DM me if you have questions on this stuff. I have a fair bit of experience tinkering with the stuff. I was dicking around with lithium before it was cool lmao

Also, Dafaseles, love you buddy, but I think you jumbled some info on your assessment :P 

a BMS is not advised as it will limit current , you need an active balancer like a Heltech  . BMS's are for solar storage and such as when you don't need high current discharge .

Archived