Sub watts to mid/high watt ratio/formula?

Fern4Prez

Is there a formula or ratio of watts for the mid/high to subs? 

I’m trying to figure out what I should be aiming for mid/high wise to pair with an AB XR15D2 sub (1500w RMS) with a VFL Stealth 3000.1D amp. 

Vehicle is a 2017 Mustang coupe with 9 speaker “premium” sound. Stock sizes below.

Premium Models 200A/400A (9 Speaker Configuration)
6.5" (Doors)
3.5" (Doors)
Tweeters (A Pillars)
3.5" Center Channel (In dash)
6.5" (Rear Deck)

Looking to stay around $1500 for the mids/highs and an amp for them, if possible. Going to keep the stock head unit and aiming to use something from Audio Control for the head unit tie in and mid/high amp duties. 

Thanks!

Well, unfortunately, there really no set in stone wattage to wattage equation. There are a lot of different variables. How many speakers are you running on how many amps? Just as an example, 2 6.5" speakers using 50 watts each will generally be louder than a single 6.5" on 100 watts. Same total wattage but different outcomes. 

Also, sound quality is very subjective. The way I like my mids and highs to blend with my sub stage might sound like absolute crap to you. So to find your perfect balance might take some trial and error depending on how in depth you want to get. 

My question to you is, are you planning on replacing all those speakers? Or just using a couple of the spaces? My personal opinion is, with that power on your sub stage, I think a good 2 way component set up front (6.5's and tweeters) with a passive crossover, and a decent set of 6.5" coaxial speakers in back, running off an amp that will deliver 100 watts per channel at 4 ohm would do you fine. But again, that's my opinion, not knowing how you like your music to sound. 

Now, if you're planning on replacing all those speakers, I would think you'd need to go active crossover with a DSP that supports a center channel. The 6.5's in the doors would take care of the 80 to maybe 200 or 400 hz range, then from there the 3.5's would take over up until maybe 3000-4000 hz range, then your tweeters would take care of the rest. The rear speakers weld just be set to full range (if you go with coaxils) with a HPF set around 80 hz. Or, if you don't want to go coaxial, you could use them the same as your door 6.5's. While the center speaker handles more of the frequencies more associated with voice (like the center speaker in a house system). To do all that, you'd need a DSP, or multiple amplifiers. A 6 channel for the doors that is capable of bandpass crossovers for the 3 sets of channels (being able to set a HPF and a LPF). Then another 4 channel for the center and rear speakers, also capable of the same type of crossovers. If you don't differentiate the frequencies between the different size speakers, you'll get blending issues and maybe even some cancelation issues. 

Sorry for the long answer, I just wanted to try and cover everything

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived