Upgrade alternator on kleinbus

I am planning on building a sound system i a volkswagen kleinbus T2, and the stock alternator is 55A, the width of the belt is 10mm and on the alternators is other side there is a fan connected. I am planning on pushing about 2200 Watts RMS. 8 x 8" mids, 4 x 12" subs I need som advise here on the alternator what to do and what to buy or make. Thanks!spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Jimmy02 said:

I am planning on building a sound system i a volkswagen kleinbus T2, and the stock alternator is 55A, the width of the belt is 10mm and on the alternators is other side there is a fan connected. I am planning on pushing about 2200 Watts RMS. 8 x 8" mids, 4 x 12" subs I need som advise here on the alternator what to do and what to buy or make. Thanks!spacer.png

I think you'll need to upgrade the alternator. First step is find out your options of upgraded alternators you can get, or if you can find someone who can rebuild your alternator to put out more amperage. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Have you thought about trying stock alt with lithium, or what i would do is get a one wire or self excite alt and build a bracket to run in place of stock. Might have to do some pully swapping to get to work. 

23 minutes ago, killerc998 said:

Have you thought about trying stock alt with lithium, or what i would do is get a one wire or self excite alt and build a bracket to run in place of stock. Might have to do some pully swapping to get to work. 

Fabricating your own alternator bracket to house any alternator you want! I never thought of that. That's a pretty damn good idea! 

16 minutes ago, killerc998 said:

Its what i did to add a second alt in place of my ac compressor. 

I've heard of people fabricating brackets for dual alternators, or even 3 or 4, but it never dawned on me that you could technically do that in place of a single alternator if you can't find a high output alternator specific to said vehicle. I don't know why though, it seems so obvious now that you pointed it out 🤣

On 11/18/2021 at 2:03 AM, killerc998 said:

I found a alternator with 75 A that fits perfect and with that how much lithium do you think is required? (Again 2200W RMS) the problem with swapping alternator is that the fan is mounted on the other end so it has to be a special alternator or I'll have to figure out something else with the fan

15 minutes ago, Jimmy02 said:

I found a alternator with 75 A that fits perfect and with that how much lithium do you think is required? (Again 2200W RMS) the problem with swapping alternator is that the fan is mounted on the other end so it has to be a special alternator or I'll have to figure out something else with the fan

Would you be able to have a bracket made to house 2 alternators? Even with lithium, I would try to double up with that little bit of amperage. Hopefully you'd be able to run the stock alt, and then am aftermarket one without a fan

2 hours ago, Jimmy02 said:

You ought to take that alternator to a local alternator repair shop and ask them if they can upgrade it. Every shop like that I’ve been to, is quiet capable of doing the job. The only concern is if there is an available part they can source to upgrade your alternator. Long as they can find a part, then do the double setup with two upgraded alternators. 

Archived