Second Skin Audio

Can I mix enclosure types on a 3 speaker 1 box build?

midwest_dave

Hello all , this could be dumb or weird but I can't find an answer that I understand. To keep it brief, 3 subs on 1 amp and wire in series to 1.3 ohms, can I port one or two speakers and seal the other/s? Would that give me some of both types of sound or would they interfere with each other? Would the speakers be driven differently on the same circuit and mess it up? 
The subs in question are alpine sws-10d2's so I think they are middle of the road for any type of enclosure as long as its built correctly. There is overlap between recommended sealed size and ported size. The idea I had was to buy a 3 chamber sealed box and add my own port to 1 or 2 speakers. Not necessarily looking to maximize the potential, I'm just hoping for a bit of the best of both types because I listen to lots of different types of music. 

As long as it's not a shared chamber and don't push them to hard cause sealed u need more power and ported doesn't need as much power to push the sub 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Your subs are going to be moving different from one another, 

so you could potentially have cancelation issues, not to mention adding your own port to a prefab sealed enclosure, you're sub probably won't get enough internal volume to perform efficiently, and unless you really know what your doing, your tunning is going to be terrible. 

If you want the best of both worlds, look into getting what's called a 4th order bandpass. One side of the subwoofer (usually the cone) fires into a sealed enclosure while the other side fires into a ported enclosure. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Sure. Do whatever peals your banana.

I wouldn't, but sure, you can. Theres a reason you dont see many (hell if any) people do it.

Edit- also, if Crutchfield or, whoever told you

"Sealed boxes give you "tight, accurate" bass, while ported delivers "boomy, loud" bass, just delete those websites (at least the advise section) or dont listen to those people/friends.

They are lost or trying to sell something. 

Archived