Second Skin Audio

Need to new subs

DAVER

Hello,

I am in need to 2 new 10" shallow subs. However,  I do not know the best way to go. The amp I have is over 10 years old but seems to work fine. Based on the specs of that AMP what do you guys think is the best to replace the ones I have without buying to much? 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/518552/Memphis-16-Mc5-700.html?page=15#manual              I have the MC5-1400

I was thinking to about   JL Audio 10TW3-D4 or Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-10  But Like I said not exactly sure what I am looking at in regards to what will match up with the amp.

The head unit is Kenwood 893S

Thanks, 

Dave

At 1 ohm,  that amplifier will put out max 500 watts on the 5th channel.  

So any of those subs will work, but if you go with 2, you'll be underpowering them. Not really a big deal though. They'll perform, just not as well as they can on enough power. 

Also, you can go check out the Sundown SLD 10". You'll still be underpowered, but fine. 

The main thing to be worried about is depth and available space. I'm assuming you're looking at shallow mount subs because of space restrictions. So, if you haven't already, measure the space you're willing to give up, calculate how many cubic feet you'd have, and go from there. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thanks..I am trying to replace what is there. I have an 09 Tacoma and at the time the system was installed, the installer made a sub case based on the limited space behind the double cab and I am set up with 2 10" shallow subs. 

The current speakers are all Memphis Audio, the subs as well. I suppose I was hoping to get something a little better then what was put in there. 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, DAVER said:

Thanks..I am trying to replace what is there. I have an 09 Tacoma and at the time the system was installed, the installer made a sub case based on the limited space behind the double cab and I am set up with 2 10" shallow subs. 

The current speakers are all Memphis Audio, the subs as well. I suppose I was hoping to get something a little better then what was put in there. 

Thanks again!

Using the same amp and enclosure, just changing the subs won't change much, if anything, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, DAVER said:

Thanks again!

So, the first time I didn't notice there where 2 amps on that sheet. I'm sorry. That amp will do 1100 watts on the 5th channel at 1 ohm. 

The current subs, do you know what series they are? Do you know what impedance they're wired to? 

If you're current setup has the subs wired to either 2 ohm, or 4 ohm, then if you buy 2 subs and wire them down to 1 ohm, you will receive a nice bump in power. 

I've seen this before too, if the shop that installed the system turned the gain way down so as not to damage low power subs, you can get subs that be able to take all the power of that amp, and set the gain correctly. 

So I would check the impedance of your subs first. Then, if you don't have access to a DD-1 or oscilloscope, there are videos on YouTube on how to set your gains with a digital multimeter, so you can get the most out of your amplifier. 

Archived