Sonic Electronix

More amplifiers or larger amplifiers

First off I’m newly hot new to car audio. Was heavily involved 20+ years ago and just getting back into it. I had 6 Skar EVL 12s in my Grand Cherokee with 2 Skar Rp 3500.1 amps strapped and in strapped and really not much difference in output although the Ohms draw was different. Had a 3 AGM setup with dual runs of 1/0 front to back and a 270 Amp alternator with dual 1/0 runs to each amp positive and ground. I have decided to build a c pillar wall and I’m thinking of going with a series 6th order and going with 6 Fi audio neo 4.7 18’s. I’m unsure of which actual subs I’ll be using wether it’s the 4.7,4.9 or 4.11 and dual 1 Ohm or dual 2 Ohm. The only part I’m sure on is I’m going with the Fi neo 4x 18s. My question is which is better on power a larger number of smaller amps ( say 2 subs per amp or even one per) or larger amps ( 3 subs per amp or even all 6 to a set of strapped amps). I realize at the number of subs if I’m going with all 6 on a single connection I’m looking at .66 or 1.33 Ohm draw so I’d need to get large .5 Ohm amps. I’ve heard .5 Oh, is rough on the electrical. Any suggestions out there on what to do? At this time $ is not a limiting factor willing to go upwards of $10k

15 minutes ago, MadKrawler said:

First off I’m newly hot new to car audio. Was heavily involved 20+ years ago and just getting back into it. I had 6 Skar EVL 12s in my Grand Cherokee with 2 Skar Rp 3500.1 amps strapped and in strapped and really not much difference in output although the Ohms draw was different. Had a 3 AGM setup with dual runs of 1/0 front to back and a 270 Amp alternator with dual 1/0 runs to each amp positive and ground. I have decided to build a c pillar wall and I’m thinking of going with a series 6th order and going with 6 Fi audio neo 4.7 18’s. I’m unsure of which actual subs I’ll be using wether it’s the 4.7,4.9 or 4.11 and dual 1 Ohm or dual 2 Ohm. The only part I’m sure on is I’m going with the Fi neo 4x 18s. My question is which is better on power a larger number of smaller amps ( say 2 subs per amp or even one per) or larger amps ( 3 subs per amp or even all 6 to a set of strapped amps). I realize at the number of subs if I’m going with all 6 on a single connection I’m looking at .66 or 1.33 Ohm draw so I’d need to get large .5 Ohm amps. I’ve heard .5 Oh, is rough on the electrical. Any suggestions out there on what to do? At this time $ is not a limiting factor willing to go upwards of $10k

Let me start off my saying that build sounds bad ass and I'm supremely jealous! 

Honestly, it all comes down to what you want your final impedance to come down to, and personal preference. 

Let's say you decide to run at .66 ohm. Yes, the lower impedance make the amps suffer on efficiency, but after impedance rise, it won't see below 1 ohm that often, unless you're specifically playing notes you know don't get a whole lot of rise during demos. But nowadays anyway, if you're willing to spend money on quality amps, they can handle that load no problem. 

Then it comes down to power. Let's say you want 5k max to each sub before rise. That's 30k watts. It'll be tough to find 1 single 30k amp that can handle .66 ohm all day. So then maybe you want 2 amps. 

There are a lot of factors, but power never really changes. You're going to need stupid amounts of upgraded electrical. You already know that. Also, you know you'll need stupid amounts of wattage because those subs are power hungry monsters. So do you want the look of 6 smaller amps? 3 decent size amps? One monster Korean surfboard? Or something different? Is there a brand amplifier you absolutely love? What's the different power options they offer? 

Just some things to think about

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived