First Build Trial and Error

Hey, My name is Blake. I'm currently in the process of my first build and after reading Dafaseles entire build thread tonight I thought it would be cool to document mine. Its nothing big and its very beginner compared to most setups here. Hopefully this build can help someone new to subwoofer and car audio like myself. Build will be in an 03 Silverado. Center console is getting torn out tomorrow and the center console construction will start on Thursday 12/02/2021. 

Sub and amp wise I'm going with a Skar audio EVL 12 2 ohm subwoofer, and an RP-1500.1D amplifier. I know there's some hate towards Kevin and Skar products but this was on budget for me so I figured id give it a try. In terms of wiring I went with a Knu Kolossus 4 gauge kit

Center console will be built out of HDO. Yes I know HDO is extremely expensive and maybe overkill but my family owns a concrete sky-rise erection company so I get fresh sheets of this for free. My plan is the sand the laminate off the top and stain everything a dark grey. I don't know how to upholster and I think a dark grey stain will look neat. 

Like I said, I'm very new to subwoofers, I've tried to do as much research as I could, if you see anything or think of anything that might help in this build please feel free to input, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be sure to post pictures along the way. Tomorrow being the first day.

Thanks for reading! 

-Blake

38 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

Hey, My name is Blake. I'm currently in the process of my first build and after reading Dafaseles entire build thread tonight I thought it would be cool to document mine. Its nothing big and its very beginner compared to most setups here. Hopefully this build can help someone new to subwoofer and car audio like myself. Build will be in an 03 Silverado. Center console is getting torn out tomorrow and the center console construction will start on Thursday 12/02/2021. 

Sub and amp wise I'm going with a Skar audio EVL 12 2 ohm subwoofer, and an RP-1500.1D amplifier. I know there's some hate towards Kevin and Skar products but this was on budget for me so I figured id give it a try. In terms of wiring I went with a Knu Kolossus 4 gauge kit

Center console will be built out of HDO. Yes I know HDO is extremely expensive and maybe overkill but I'm a 3rd generation concrete carpenter so I get fresh sheets of this for free. My plan is the sand the laminate off the top and stain everything a dark grey. I don't know how to upholster and I think a dark grey stain will look neat. 

Like I said, I'm very new to subwoofers, I've tried to do as much research as I could, if you see anything or think of anything that might help in this build please feel free to input, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be sure to post pictures along the way. Tomorrow being the first day.

Thanks for reading! 

-Blake

Thanks for going through my thread! 

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

Can't wait to see the center console! Staining it should be really good looking! 

3 things...

That much power to your sub, you're probably going to want to upgrade your mids and highs sooner rather than later. As you're planning and building your build, plan for it. Even if you don't end up doing it, if you plan for it, you won't get stuck having to redo everything because you decide that you want more. 

Also, if you're going to build a center console, (if you don't know how to already) watch some videos on how to "kerf" your edges. If anything, it'll just be another weapon in your arsenal to building a cool looking enclosure. 

Also, depending on how in depth you want to get, maybe even look into getting someone to design your enclosure/ console for you. They'll model the sub on that power in different configurations to give you the best sound possible. Usually you'll get a cut sheet as well as detailed plans that will help in the build process. 

Just some things to think about. That's all, can't wait to see it! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

26 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Thanks for going through my thread! 

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

Can't wait to see the center console! Staining it should be really good looking! 

3 things...

That much power to your sub, you're probably going to want to upgrade your mids and highs sooner rather than later. As you're planning and building your build, plan for it. Even if you don't end up doing it, if you plan for it, you won't get stuck having to redo everything because you decide that you want more. 

Also, if you're going to build a center console, (if you don't know how to already) watch some videos on how to "kerf" your edges. If anything, it'll just be another weapon in your arsenal to building a cool looking enclosure. 

Also, depending on how in depth you want to get, maybe even look into getting someone to design your enclosure/ console for you. They'll model the sub on that power in different configurations to give you the best sound possible. Usually you'll get a cut sheet as well as detailed plans that will help in the build process. 

Just some things to think about. That's all, can't wait to see it! 

I have thought about upgrading mids and highs. I just feel like my alternator won’t be able to handle that without an upgrade. I do have “upgraded” door speakers and compared to stock they sound amazing. But in terms of quality audio they aren’t too hot. I think I’m going to allow the console to fit 2 8” speakers as well. And when the time comes I’ll just cut the holes with a jig saw. I’m a full time college student and only have time to work part time until I go on break. So my goal was to add some bass on a budget. But I wanted to do more than buy a prebuilt kicker sub and box combo and throw it on top of my bench seat lol. I tried my absolute best on box specs. Used a box building application and accounted for the space the sub will take up and stuff like that. Box is going to be sealed as I’m looking for more of a punch vs loud low bass. The only true think I’m worried about right now is clipping. I don’t own an oscilloscope, so I’m going to tune my amp using a multi meter. Do you think that method is sufficient? Or do you have another method.  

Knowing those RP amplifiers will do their rated power, a DMM will do the job to tune the amp. It's not the best method, but it's better than tuning by ear. 

4 channel amplifiers for mids and highs don't take as much current as bass amps, so really, adding a simple 400.4 wouldn't stress your electrical out to much. In my opinion 1500 watts is already pushing your stock electrical. But I get it. Being in a tight budget is hard. You just have to do it one step at a time. Though keep in mind, the big 3 upgrade is huge! So I would look into at least upgrading that as soon as you can. You'll get it though. Just know you'll never know everything and always have a mind ready to learn something new. 

Update 1.0

I ordered the Sub and amp on black Friday because they had a pretty nice deal. Ended up getting them last night. Id say that's a pretty good turn around time. I was also able to get the center console pulled out this morning. The only hiccup i had was the fact I don't own an E socket set so I had to borrow one from a friend. 8 bolts total and you can pull it out pretty easily. I still plan the start building come Thursday, I'm not sure how long it will take but I'm guessing a couple days. I also forgot to mention, the HU I'm running is a Sony XAV-AX3000. I picked it up around this time last year. Its not brand new at this point but its also not too old. 

Thanks for reading

center console.JPG

sub and amp.JPG

9 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

Update 1.0

I ordered the Sub and amp on black Friday because they had a pretty nice deal. Ended up getting them last night. Id say that's a pretty good turn around time. I was also able to get the center console pulled out this morning. The only hiccup i had was the fact I don't own an E socket set so I had to borrow one from a friend. 8 bolts total and you can pull it out pretty easily. I still plan the start building come Thursday, I'm not sure how long it will take but I'm guessing a couple days. I also forgot to mention, the HU I'm running is a Sony XAV-AX3000. I picked it up around this time last year. Its not brand new at this point but its also not too old. 

Thanks for reading

center console.JPG

sub and amp.JPG

I had those same seats in my 99 Tahoe. I miss that truck. 

3 hours ago, molly4lyfe said:

Although my truck is no where close to new. I love this vehicle the most. And I’ve owned 2 new cars lol. 

Bought my truck new, bought my wife's Explorer new, still miss my 99 Tahoe. I wish it didn't blow up on me lol. I'd have 6 15's on 40k right now🤣

Good  start nothing wrong with Skar the Evil line is great and the RP line makes good power . Great job.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

2 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Good  start nothing wrong with Skar the Evil line is great and the RP line makes good power . Great job.

Thanks for the positivity, got some goodies coming in the mail tomorrow, cant wait to share!

Archived