First Build Trial and Error

My amp is going to be about 12 inches away from my sub box. Do I really need the terminals for the box? Or can I just run the wire directly from the sub to the amp. I would probably cut 2 small holes for each wire and then silicone them in place. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update 1.2

So I decided to go with some different plywood. After cutting into the HDO I had, there was a lot of voids and lost pieces where the glue didn't get. A little disappointed. Might just be a bad batch. With that being said I decided to step it up a notch and go with Finn Form. This is 15 ply solid birch from the greatest wood country in the world, Finland! Here's a pic for reference, glad I was able to get my hands on some of this stuff.

finn form.JPG

3 hours ago, molly4lyfe said:

My amp is going to be about 12 inches away from my sub box. Do I really need the terminals for the box? Or can I just run the wire directly from the sub to the amp. I would probably cut 2 small holes for each wire and then silicone them in place. 

You can do that, it just makes it a pain in the ass of you ever want to remove the box temporarily. Just make sure you seal it up TIGHT! Any leak can screw up all your sound

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Finally got started on the build. Scribed the bottom and cut with a jigsaw so you can’t see any light and everything sits nice and flush on the floor of the truck. All that is left to be done is to cut the hole for the speaker and put a top and front on. I’m about 5 hours in. Took my quite some time, much longer than I thought. I really wanted to fit the amp inside but it looks like that’s not going to work so well. Amp is gunna be thrown under the rear seat and I’ll used some fish wire to run cables under the floor. 

A6F47C60-8790-499E-AF55-C528B0495F64.jpeg

503AFB27-91D7-40CA-BBD5-AAC3621FFA57.jpeg

48 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

Finally got started on the build. Scribed the bottom and cut with a jigsaw so you can’t see any light and everything sits nice and flush on the floor of the truck. All that is left to be done is to cut the hole for the speaker and put a top and front on. I’m about 5 hours in. Took my quite some time, much longer than I thought. I really wanted to fit the amp inside but it looks like that’s not going to work so well. Amp is gunna be thrown under the rear seat and I’ll used some fish wire to run cables under the floor. 

A6F47C60-8790-499E-AF55-C528B0495F64.jpeg

503AFB27-91D7-40CA-BBD5-AAC3621FFA57.jpeg

I've learned this as well.... it sure does take a long time to get it done the exact way you want it, doesn't it? 🤣

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've gotten nothing done since the last time I posted. I actually ended up getting corona and this shit is brutal. Hoping to get it done by the end of December but we will see what happens.

10 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've gotten nothing done since the last time I posted. I actually ended up getting corona and this shit is brutal. Hoping to get it done by the end of December but we will see what happens.

That sucks bud! Feel better soon! Kick the rona's ass! 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes yes I know I haven’t posted any update pictures for the 2 people actually following this thread lol. I got the console built painted and installed. Got it done today. I ended up buying a budget O Scope to tune my gain. I will be posting pics tomorrow. But I will say. I’m slightly disappointed in the output of the sub. I think I’m bottlenecking somewhere I need to some help. Amp is the rp1500 from skar and sun is evl 12. I used the o scope with a 40 hertz test tone and set my HU to 75% of max volume. Found clipping on amp and set slightly below. I listen to music about 25 volume and 75% is 37. I can’t listen to it that high my doors go nuts. If I set the HU volume to 30 and tune the gain will it give me more bass at the lower volume like 25? System feels really underpowered. And im a bit confused. 

17 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

Yes yes I know I haven’t posted any update pictures for the 2 people actually following this thread lol. I got the console built painted and installed. Got it done today. I ended up buying a budget O Scope to tune my gain. I will be posting pics tomorrow. But I will say. I’m slightly disappointed in the output of the sub. I think I’m bottlenecking somewhere I need to some help. Amp is the rp1500 from skar and sun is evl 12. I used the o scope with a 40 hertz test tone and set my HU to 75% of max volume. Found clipping on amp and set slightly below. I listen to music about 25 volume and 75% is 37. I can’t listen to it that high my doors go nuts. If I set the HU volume to 30 and tune the gain will it give me more bass at the lower volume like 25? System feels really underpowered. And im a bit confused. 

So, at 75% volume, do you like the bass? If so, turn it up to 75%, then adjust the gain on the mids and highs amp to blend with the sub. 

Archived