Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA V.2 12’s

Michaelj18099

Hello. New user here. Glad to be a part of the group. I need some help with my setup. I recently purchased 2 brand new sundown SA V.2 12s from a sundown dealer. They came in a pre fab vented enclosure. I hooked to subs up. Wired to 1 ohm at the amp. And im not getting the results i expected and have heard in other peoples systems with close to the same setup. Im running a cheap power acoustic razor 2500.1D amp. I know the amp is probably only putting out 500 watts maybe. Its just a cheap amp i had running a kicker 12. The enclosure is 1.5 cubic ft per sub from what i measured and calculated. Thats not accounting for the space the sub takes up. My question is. If i buy a better amp. Thats rated for the rms that the subs need. Will this fix my issue or will i need a bigger box as well. Im getting a lot of punch it seams. A lot of tight kick at the beginning of each bass note if that makes sense. I don't like that. And the only songs that sound decent or hit descent at all are bass boosted songs on youtube. I have bass boost all the way down. Adjusted gain by ear and i have the subsonic filter set at 30hz. And the low pass filter set to play between 35( lowest it goes) to 80hz. Subs are in a 2021 tacoma double cab with stock electrical.  with the subs facing towards the back of the cab. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! 

80CAFF7D-0CCB-417D-9FCE-ED7E1207166A.jpeg

2DC2BF14-68E5-44DF-AA0B-1BE1C3761FB1.jpeg

9AFA6B11-DA00-4FFB-921C-D263AA87AA6E.jpeg

Your probably getting  what you can out of those subs with your electrical those subs can handle 1k each on good electrical all day , your amp is ok not great but I’d try a second battery and big 3 first then maybe a better amp. I’ve been a Bass Aholic for 20yrs and all I see is your happy but want more been there that’s why your on this site love it . Build looks good Sundown subs love Sundown amps. Still need good electrical that’s step 1. I ran 3 SA 10’s on 1k each but had 320amp alternator and 6 batteries but was running at .6 ohms. Shit slammed.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Yea they are 1000 watts rms each. They are the sa v2. Not the classic. Im not sure why they didn’t give them a whole new name because people get them confused all the time. They have a much bigger magnet and motor than the sa classic and more cooling and are built a lot beefier tensils are doubled up. A bunch of upgrades. So i know they will handle a lot more power. I think the sa classic is rated at 750rms. Im wondering how big of an amp i can run on stock electrical because I hooked up my buddies skar rp800. And the lights weren't even dimming. But the issue im running into is i had 2 kicker cvr 12s that hit almost just as hard on the same amp I can barely tell the difference. So i know something is up. Im thinking the amp is just too weak. I watched some dyno videos of the amp and they only had it making barely 500 at 1ohm. So each sub is getting like 250 watts right now Which is wayy too low. Im actually worried about clipping them. 

E9CA9B50-070D-4630-BFF7-E539DCFBD46D.png

First, LPF should be at around 80 hz. That will let the subwoofer play everything below 80 hz, as it should. 

Your subsonic should be a bit lower. Should be a couple hz below the tuning of the box. Being that it's a prefab box, do you know the port tuning? 

Seeing your gain by ear is a recipe for disaster unless you are a seasoned vet and know exactly what you're listening for. Using a DD-1 is best, an oscilloscope is good too, if all else fails, use a DMM. There are videos on YouTube explaining how to tune with one of those. Problem with that is, especially using a brand amplifier that the manufacturer has no problem lying to you about output, is you're hoping the amount of power your putting out isn't clipping the Soundwave. 

You need a new amp bud. I hate to say it. Something around 2500-3000 watts RMS would do those subs well. 

Also, for smooth bass (which that's what it sounds like you're looking for) a bigger box, with lower tuning usually will accomplish this. 

Like @Ron36said, electrical is number 1. Always. You can't make power without having power first

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thanks a lot.the lps is set at 80.  Im looking into building a custom box thats bigger. And as far as setting by ear. It’s probably not perfect but ive ran subs for around 10 years now and never blew a set or had any issues besides one sub. And it blew because i had an amp fry on me. It was a Memphis amp. I ran it for a couple years and one day it just started smoking and took the sub with it. As far as using tools to set it. All i have is a multimeter. So i will check on the video you mentioned. Im seeing 13.8 volts steady with the engine running. So ill look into doing the big 3 as well as an alternator upgrade.  

Better amp bigger box upgrade electrical 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Sfb 2000 would work good for u if your on a budget

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

My system got louder by ear after just replacing the factory ALT to a 320AMP  ALT, Big difference .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

2 hours ago, Ron36 said:

My system got louder by ear after just replacing the factory ALT to a 320AMP  ALT, Big difference .

He needs more amp 500wrms isn't gonna sound good on something that needs 2000wrms

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

I had those same 12's on a sfb 1500 and just 2 agm batteries and they was flexin

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt