Sonic Electronix

Nooby amp question - MRX M110

As title, so I have this amp... For A while and I love it.. More than enough for me. 

From my limited knowledge, the lower the ohm the more power !?! ( don't shout at me ) 

• 600 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
  • (1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
  • 500 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm
  •  

Based on the stats I find online about this amp, 

It creates more rms at 2ohm as opposed to 1ohm. 

Is there a specific reason for this ? Designer's just wanted it this way or am I missing something. 

Also any recommendations for a dvc 2ohm final impedence sub would be great. 

Thank you in advance,

I was looking it up, and yeah, that's pretty interesting. 

I think because of its power management system and thermal control, it's made for 2 ohm. It will play and handle 1 ohm, but to make sure the amplifier doesn't over draw what it can handle, it limits the current flow at 1 ohm. 

I've seen JL amplifiers do this same thing on amp dyno videos. They do more on a run to clipping than they do a dynamic run, and if it doesn't go into protect, will do less at impedances below 2 ohm. If you go to the alpine website, they don't even advertise that amp below 2 ohm. 

As far as subwoofers go, do you have a price in mind? 1 sub or 2? Size? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I was looking it up, and yeah, that's pretty interesting. 

I think because of its power management system and thermal control, it's made for 2 ohm. It will play and handle 1 ohm, but to make sure the amplifier doesn't over draw what it can handle, it limits the current flow at 1 ohm. 

I've seen JL amplifiers do this same thing on amp dyno videos. They do more on a run to clipping than they do a dynamic run, and if it doesn't go into protect, will do less at impedances below 2 ohm. If you go to the alpine website, they don't even advertise that amp below 2 ohm. 

As far as subwoofers go, do you have a price in mind? 1 sub or 2? Size? 

Thanks for the response.

Agreed, some places don't mention it at 1ohm, though I've ran a 2 sub setup before wired at that and never had issues. 

Sadly my boot space allowance allows for 1 box, not a correctly sized one at that either. Something that can take a beating on loud volume for hours. I drive a lot and the bass helps keep me up 🤪

No real budget in mind for the right sub, rather do it right once. ( blown a sub or two before )

4 hours ago, Drunkenmoron said:

Thanks for the response.

Agreed, some places don't mention it at 1ohm, though I've ran a 2 sub setup before wired at that and never had issues. 

Sadly my boot space allowance allows for 1 box, not a correctly sized one at that either. Something that can take a beating on loud volume for hours. I drive a lot and the bass helps keep me up 🤪

No real budget in mind for the right sub, rather do it right once. ( blown a sub or two before )

Do you happen to have measurements for the space available? How many cubic feet are you willing to give up? 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Do you happen to have measurements for the space available? How many cubic feet are you willing to give up? 

I have an audi a7. 

Upto where that netting starts, I don't mind that whole back end rectangle space taken up. Not sure on measurements in cubic feet. 

IMG_8979.jpg

If you can, take a tape measure and measure the length, width, and hight you're OK with losing to an enclosure. 

When figuring the system you want to run in any vehicle, the first step is to decide how much room you're willing to give up. Then matching the sub(s) to that space. That's how you will yield the best sounding experience you can. 

It looks like that might be a decent amount of space. You might be able to run 2 10's. Maybe a single 15. 2 12's, a single 12 maybe. But we won't know for sure until you measure the space. 

Archived