Sonic Electronix

Sub isn't getting loud.

I have a cxa800.1 paired with a Kicker Q L7 10".  When I raise volume to about 1/4 to half, it sounds really good.  Anything past half, and it almost seems to lower, the main speakers get loud, but not the sub.

My alternator is 160 amp stock, agm battery.

Would the big 3 solve this?

If you don't know exactly what you're listening for, tuning your gain by ear isn't a good idea. If you use a DMM to set your gain, it might seem daunting, but it'll yield you better results that are safer to your equipment. Just take it step by step. 

Also, those Q's work best in a huge box. Do you know how many cubes your enclosure is? 

Also, are you using a stock head unit and LOC?

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a kenwood dmx7706s for headunit.

The box is sealed, and in the parameters for this sub.  It's 1.35 cubic foot, with about 1.5 lbs of polyfill.

I'm thinking I may need 2 subs, same amp same box same sub.  Or 1 amp, 2 box 2 q l7 subs.

I'm not sure how my 2016 wrangler with stock 160 amp alternator and agm battery will handle the new setup.

That box is way too small for 2 subs. 

And if you got a second sub, what impedance would you be able to wire it to? If you're running at 1 ohm now, then ran 2 subs at 2 ohm, there would be really no benefit. 

Just for science sake, try running the box with no Poly-fil and see what it sounds like

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 8:49 AM, stingray72 said:

If you go ported it will be much louder try that and im sure youll be pleased.

Agreed. I farted around w/ sealed enclosures for years and always wanted *just a bit more. Then tried a few pre-fab ported enclosures… slightly better. Finally did the homework and have since built well designed ported enclosures… it’s just so much better, assuming you have the space required. 

Archived