Sonic Electronix

Good night SMD family. Hope all is well. This might be a bit to read.
Anyone ever had any balancing issues with there left and right front stage?
Info -  i got a pair of 4ohm 6.5s and a pair of 4ohm tweeter. These are powered of a jl jd 400.4 in stereo (left right tweeter, left right midbass, everything on their own channel) with all gains set perfect. I realize that sometimes my left side sounds louder, i know thats a common issue due to the vehicle but i my case it isn't always. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me so i got some one with a db recorder and played a pink noise tone, with a mic in the center of my back seat, balance was on 0, where i toggled between channels by muting on my 80prs. On some occasions all measured exactly the same output through left and right and sometimes the left tweeter and left speaker were playing almost 3db higher than the right on the same pink noise.
I also noticed that sometimes the left tweeter plays scratchy, distored and soft on lower volumes and once i raise the vol to 50% and higher, the tweeter sounds perfectly fine and the output goes to normal and if i reduce the volume it continues playing fine.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Jeremy009 said:

Good night SMD family. Hope all is well. This might be a bit to read.
Anyone ever had any balancing issues with there left and right front stage?
Info -  i got a pair of 4ohm 6.5s and a pair of 4ohm tweeter. These are powered of a jl jd 400.4 in stereo (left right tweeter, left right midbass, everything on their own channel) with all gains set perfect. I realize that sometimes my left side sounds louder, i know thats a common issue due to the vehicle but i my case it isn't always. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me so i got some one with a db recorder and played a pink noise tone, with a mic in the center of my back seat, balance was on 0, where i toggled between channels by muting on my 80prs. On some occasions all measured exactly the same output through left and right and sometimes the left tweeter and left speaker were playing almost 3db higher than the right on the same pink noise.
I also noticed that sometimes the left tweeter plays scratchy, distored and soft on lower volumes and once i raise the vol to 50% and higher, the tweeter sounds perfectly fine and the output goes to normal and if i reduce the volume it continues playing fine.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

You're using passive crossovers? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

3 hours ago, Jeremy009 said:

Active... on 80prs

Damn, I was hoping I could blame the crossover 🤣

I think what you'd need to do is start to try and isolate the problem. If you have another 4 channel you have access to, even if it's not that good, switch it out and see if the problem persists. 

If you get a pair of RCA to some kind of mobile device like a phone, you can hook it straight up to the amplifier and take the head unit and RCA's out of the picture. 

You can switch the RCA's around on the amplifier to see if the problem switches sides. 

And just check all your connections to verify that they're nice and tight. 

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Damn, I was hoping I could blame the crossover 🤣

I think what you'd need to do is start to try and isolate the problem. If you have another 4 channel you have access to, even if it's not that good, switch it out and see if the problem persists. 

If you get a pair of RCA to some kind of mobile device like a phone, you can hook it straight up to the amplifier and take the head unit and RCA's out of the picture. 

You can switch the RCA's around on the amplifier to see if the problem switches sides. 

And just check all your connections to verify that they're nice and tight. 

Update. All connections were checked and they a all tight. I switched the rca for the tweeters only and the left is still doing the same. So am not sure whats going on there. The headunit was ruled out with that test i guess. Could it be the amplifier causing it? But why only the left lol both mid and high are on separate channels on the 4 channel an the left is significantly louder,weird that it happens only sometimes

19 minutes ago, Jeremy009 said:

Update. All connections were checked and they a all tight. I switched the rca for the tweeters only and the left is still doing the same. So am not sure whats going on there. The headunit was ruled out with that test i guess. Could it be the amplifier causing it? But why only the left lol both mid and high are on separate channels on the 4 channel an the left is significantly louder,weird that it happens only sometimes

So, I would say it's not the head unit or the RCA's. It has to be the amplifier, speaker wire (the run from the amp to the speakers) or the speakers themselves. 

Do you have another 4 channel you can throw in there really quick and test with? I know it's a pain in the ass. That or switch out the speakers themselves. 

24 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So, I would say it's not the head unit or the RCA's. It has to be the amplifier, speaker wire (the run from the amp to the speakers) or the speakers themselves. 

Do you have another 4 channel you can throw in there really quick and test with? I know it's a pain in the ass. That or switch out the speakers themselves. 

Unfortunately i don't have another amp. See, i could be wrong,but if it was the speakers wouldn't it happen with just 1? What are the chanced both midbass speaker and tweet playing 2 db higher on the left? It has to be something with the amp. Maybe something that controls left output for the channels 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy009 said:

Unfortunately i don't have another amp. See, i could be wrong,but if it was the speakers wouldn't it happen with just 1? What are the chanced both midbass speaker and tweet playing 2 db higher on the left? It has to be something with the amp. Maybe something that controls left output for the channels 

That makes sense. You could try switching the speaker wires in the amp and see if the problem switches sides. 

Archived