Sonic Electronix

8 hours ago, Cruz18s420 said:

Here's the 140 ah LTO bank , finally got everything up and running not the nicest as far as the setup goes but that is on the list of what to do/accomplish. Still working on the voltage was able to get it up to 15v one night after work . Having it close to full tilt on my way to work then sat around 14.6 but yet the fluctuation happened dropping down around 14v when I was on my way home. So got home turned the truck off turned it back on let idle around 1-2k rpm got it to charge to 15v and the alt read 15.2v but the battery light came on and i assumed the truck was telling the cpu it was to high of voltage so it went down to 14.6. I've read its normal but can I get past this by not using the VRC ring? I have tried with a pwm frequency regulator but I don't think it has much affect on my alt/system any insight?

20220606_134355.jpg

Mechman makes a sort of bypass for it. I did it on my truck. 

Right now, the stock plug for your trucks alternator is a 2 pin setup. GM hasn't changed their alternator mounting bracket since I think '86, so you can put an older model 4 pin plug alternator on the truck no problem. You purchase a 4 pin plug with exciter wire, then just tap into a switched source with that. They also have a 2 pin bypass module you plug into the stock 2 pin plug that makes the truck think it's still in control of the charging. No battery light, and it makes grounding a lot easier. 

1 thing is that these mechman alternators are internally regulated. So on start up, you'll 15v, then it will decrease to about 14.5-14.7. So if you need more, you'll need to talk to Tony about getting a specialty built one that can be externally regulated, or have a higher charging voltage. I don't know enough about LTO banks to know what charging you'd need to keep those cells happy, but I'm sure you do. 

If you just simply not use the ring, I've read (I haven't tried it) that the vehicle doesn't respond well at all to it and you'll end up having a ton of problems with charging and the truck doing stupid things. 

Hope this helps

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived