Second Skin Audio

Input from knowledgeable ppl re: enclosure volume, vent area, & personal testimonies for two Alpine S-W12D4's (yep this topic that just won't die...)

DadToTheBone901

Hi guys (& girls), have used this site for what seems like forever now to gain knowledge & tips on our beloved hobby/lifestyle/addiction/wedge in many-a-relationship... Wouldn't browse or use any other forum, super glad I was made aware of SMD by my old head pro audio (& slightly crazy) uncle. So thanks in advance for inadvertantly helping a young green newbie do everything from build his first enclosure to learning & applying proper calculations, man you name it... It never ends, and rightfully so. Just when we think we have reached some "woke" status 🙄 the bass gods quickly humble a brother... It's what sucked a lot of us in from the start. With that out of the way, I digress... I've read no less than 17,824 (approx. 😉) articles, forum topics, etc. on proper enclosure volume for ol' faithful, the oft-debated always celebrated S-W12 (along with it's prior iterations) long story long, I've owned a few in the past, first 3 10's in a sealed box then a single 12" I can't for the life of me recall wth it was housed in 🤔, and never could find ANY bad things to say ab them. A brand new pair is due any day now, just wanted to see what worked well for you all, what didn't, so on & so forth. I know Alpine tends to recommend enclosure volume and vent area on the small side, relative to how well these can perform in larger enclosures that is. Like I said, will be a pair, only two amps I have to my name rn is an older jl xd600/1 (1st gen maaaaybe?) and a brand new unopened Kicker cx800.1 This isn't a pressing issue by any means, any input will be greatly appreciated.

That's not enough info but if it were me, and Idk if you're doing a slot or aero port or maybe you want sealed, but I was already playing with WinISD today so here's what I would do if I wanted a flat response: 6 cu ft vented box tuned to 28 hz, gotta know more info for what port size will fit but for example 18inx3.23in by 26.9in long slot port would work. If it were really me i'd go with 7-8 cu ft tuned to 30 hz because I like some SPL in the 30hz-40hz range. Just my 2 cents. It's about what you like and what you're looking for. And it being in your car will change things. I'm not to that level yet of modeling subs. My sub boxes are tuned to around 35 hz but when I measure them, they seem to peak around 50. Same thing with my old sub box that my bro has in his tahoe now. Tuned to about 35hz but in the truck it peaks hard at 50 hz. Out of the car, according to WinISD it should peak about at 3 hz higher than tuning, so like 38hz.   

Archived