Second Skin Audio

Digital Design 506d - Ported Enclosure Review

lamsv

I haven't seen too many reviews of these 6.5" subs through my google searching. I figured I'd post something so anybody else who might want to buy these subs and wants to know how they sound could read a quick review. I modeled a pair of these in a 1 cubic foot net box, tuned to 33hz. The final port was 2"x9"x40-3/4". I figured the 18" square inch port area would help with a lower tuning. No science to that decision, just a hunch. (I've attached a screen shot of the box and cut out sheet if anybody wants to duplicate this enclosure.)

How do they sound? To my ears, in my car, they balance depth, volume and accuracy better than any other sub I've owned. Even with a modest amount of power coming from my Fosgate Prime 750x1, these little suckers make me giggle with how loud they can get. Modern subs... it just blows me a way how loud a pair of 6.5" subs can get. Sound really smooth on any genre of music I throw at them. I mostly listen to EDM and hip-hop, but will throw in some alternative and country every once in awhile. Sound great no matter my mood. They only area I can honestly say they lack is on any type of kick drum. As to be expected, the small cone area just doesn't have the impact.

I would highly recommend these if you can find a deal on them, especially a pair. In my eyes, one of these would be too difficult to design a good ported box for. Fitting a port even tuned to 35-38hz would be difficult. Much easier to run a pair and get the benefit of the larger required net volume to fit a port.

DD 6.5 Subs In Car.jpg

DD 6.5 Ported Enclosure.JPG

I appreciate the review, I ordered a Ford Maverick awhile ago don’t expect it till spring but been looking for subs and it’s between DD 506 or Sundown SA6.5 ,  I’ve been a DD  guy for life don’t care about cost . Not a lot of small subs in here, I also been looking at 2 8’s but my box size is .67 each side so ported needs to be small, been eyeing the Sundown U 8’s no specs yet or if possible Gatley 6.5’s or 8’s and even DD 1506 which would kill anything in the small sub category. Still need the truck to get real specs this is from Ford . Will post build log whenever I get the truck.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I don't see too many cars running DD's local to me either. There is only one shop that sells them, and they don't really push the brand all that much. But, modeling these subs in WinISD led me to believe it would sound pretty darn good. It was worth the drive to go buy a pair, made even sweeter when he knocked off $50 if I bought the last (2) D4 voice coils they had in stock!

I compared the estimated frequency response to some previous subs I've had, and these subs stacked up pretty well! The biggest difference was just the overall estimated volume. There is only so much a pair of 6.5" speakers can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived