Making a 2way into a 3way

Jeremy009

Hey guys, hear me out with this one.

I got some 6.5s midbass speakers in my front doors and silks in the sail. Considering making it a 3way to add some midrange speakers however,the only place i can put it is in the rear dash. This is not a SQ system, just trying to sound clean, accomplish full sound,be able to be a tad louder outside the car and yes, i will eq to fix any peaks with an rta. 

Can this be done and sound good for in and around vehicle? 

I don't see why not. 

Though what I've typically seen is the midbass in the back as rear fill, with the tweeters and mid range being up front. 

As the frequency goes up, it tends to be more directional, with you wanting a more on axis approach. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

if you already have a 6.5 in the doors, if you are looking to go 3 way, I would look at a 3 inch mid or wideband. Usually you can find pods for those that will go on the a pillars if you dont want to do custom. I would not place anything on the rear deck if you dont have to. The only time I have every seen anything part of the 3 way in the rear was the midbass and then you have to pay attention to crossover points and T/A to make it work it work well. 

Archived