Second Skin Audio

Upgrading from 8's to 10's

Champion31337

12 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

What if he used a flared round port firing to the side of the enclosure? That would take the need for a bend out, wouldn't it? I mean, of he has room behind the woofers, or if he built a new enclosure with all 4 8's to one side and the port on the other. I don't know how long of a port he needs

If you fire sideways you need to build the box shorter for external end clearance, you can also build a slot port across the back firing sideways with a single piece of wood, same problem with clearance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Joe X said:

If you fire sideways you need to build the box shorter for external end clearance, you can also build a slot port across the back firing sideways with a single piece of wood, same problem with clearance.

Damn it.  Pretty much the worst vehicle for a system lol.  Im just brainstorming here thinking about an external port and where I could run it.  This is a daily driver vehicle and I have kids lol.  Btw as far as slamology goes I'm actually looking to register for "cleanliness and creativity of set up" it's a bit of a side class but absolutely love fabrication.  I'll upload and share a few pics of my latest projects 😀.

No doubt I can get louder then the average vehicle but my loudness is a bit more in my mids and highs.  My subs/box required a 2.5" seat lift kit that cost $180

7 minutes ago, Champion31337 said:

Damn it.  Pretty much the worst vehicle for a system lol.  Im just brainstorming here thinking about an external port and where I could run it.  This is a daily driver vehicle and I have kids lol.  Btw as far as slamology goes I'm actually looking to register for "cleanliness and creativity of set up" it's a bit of a side class but absolutely love fabrication.  I'll upload and share a few pics of my latest projects 😀.

No doubt I can get louder then the average vehicle but my loudness is a bit more in my mids and highs.  My subs/box required a 2.5" seat lift kit that cost $180

No one has an easy time with those under seat enclosures, specially if you already rebuilt once, take your time to plan what you want to do next, you could start a build log and review other build logs to get you ideas on how to improve your system.

46 minutes ago, Champion31337 said:

Actually, trucks are great for systems.... you know how many cubic feet the bed of your truck is? 😳🤣🤣🤣 

Just kidding, but that's the very reason I'm cutting into the cab. I need my backseat for my kids, and under the seat just isn't enough. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

25 minutes ago, Joe X said:

No one has an easy time with those under seat enclosures, specially if you already rebuilt once, take your time to plan what you want to do next, you could start a build log and review other build logs to get you ideas on how to improve your system.

One of my favorite under the seat enclosures. 

4 10" w6's sealed

Screenshot_20210203-224006_Instagram.thumb.jpg.3f9bd207fb9eaafd3db14e8a200969a9.jpg

Granted, they're firing up, and it's an F250 platinum if I remember correctly. 

And I was thinking a port like this

Screenshot_20200709-195620_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5d517bcb3ac33e60d873a85286c61d1f.jpg

I don't know how hard that would be though

44 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Actually, trucks are great for systems.... you know how many cubic feet the bed of your truck is? 😳🤣🤣🤣 

Just kidding, but that's the very reason I'm cutting into the cab. I need my backseat for my kids, and under the seat just isn't enough. 

Omg...lol.  don't get me started with the idea of a blowthrough.  I swore and still swear I will never do it but Idk, my truck now has 83k miles on it.  I have still not done to date any mods that would prevent me from selling the truck.

57 minutes ago, Champion31337 said:

Omg...lol.  don't get me started with the idea of a blowthrough.  I swore and still swear I will never do it but Idk, my truck now has 83k miles on it.  I have still not done to date any mods that would prevent me from selling the truck.

Let me be the devil on your shoulder....

Come on, all the cool kids are doing it! 

I was talking about that very thing with another guy. If you buy a camper shell, and just take out the windows and port through the window openings, you just replace the glass in order to resell it. Then just make a really nice beauty panel to go in front of the port. That's what I should do.... though I'm not going to 🤣 I'M CUTTING A HUGE HOLE IN THE SHEET METAL! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So as of now, what is the best option for me?  Is this a simple as putting in a different port in my existing box?  If so what kind of port?  Or should I rebuild the box?  If so, how?

My assumption is rebuilding may not be the best as I don't know how else to build it do to limited space.

I'm ready to execute an idea though and begin a project!

54 minutes ago, Champion31337 said:

So as of now, what is the best option for me?  Is this a simple as putting in a different port in my existing box?  If so what kind of port?  Or should I rebuild the box?  If so, how?

My assumption is rebuilding may not be the best as I don't know how else to build it do to limited space.

I'm ready to execute an idea though and begin a project!

If you would like to post the dims of your current box it would be easier for me to test some possible options.

17 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

One of my favorite under the seat enclosures. 

4 10" w6's sealed

Screenshot_20210203-224006_Instagram.thumb.jpg.3f9bd207fb9eaafd3db14e8a200969a9.jpg

Granted, they're firing up, and it's an F250 platinum if I remember correctly. 

And I was thinking a port like this

Screenshot_20200709-195620_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5d517bcb3ac33e60d873a85286c61d1f.jpg

I don't know how hard that would be though

Gobs of beauty right there, mixed feelings on the ported one though, port should at least have the area equivalent to three 4" ports going by the sub manufacturer box specs, also the length of the port seems kind of short? Anyways if you can't allow yourself such expenses it's good to know that a well built simple box would not be of inferior performance.

Archived