Jump to content

Upgrading from 8's to 10's


Champion31337
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Joe X said:

 

 

Gobs of beauty right there, mixed feelings on the ported one though, port should at least have the area equivalent to three 4" ports going by the sub manufacturer box specs, also the length of the port seems kind of short? Anyways if you can't allow yourself such expenses it's good to know that a well built simple box would not be of inferior performance.

You know way more about box design than I do. I just keep those pictures in my phone to show friends options that they have in putting a system in their vehicle. It's all for ideas really.

So, I have a crappy box designer app on my phone. It doesn't show a response curve or anything like that. It's just a crude calculator. 

I typed in values to get 3.5 cubes to simulate what he said his box is. And I got this

 

 

1944350161_Screenshot_20211230-162848_UltimateCarAudioApp.thumb.jpg.e5c7573bdd3d1fc09e7686ec6ea6dc99.jpg

How close to accurate is this? Recommended airspace for those subs are .75 each. So the subs are choking in that aspect

Edited by Dafaseles

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

You know way more about box design than I do. I just keep those pictures in my phone to show friends options that they have in putting a system in their vehicle. It's all for ideas really.

So, I have a crappy box designer app on my phone. It doesn't show a response curve or anything like that. It's just a crude calculator. 

I typed in values to get 3.5 cubes to simulate what he said his box is. And I got this

 

 

1944350161_Screenshot_20211230-162848_UltimateCarAudioApp.thumb.jpg.e5c7573bdd3d1fc09e7686ec6ea6dc99.jpg

How close to accurate is this? Recommended airspace for those subs are .75 each. So the subs are choking in that aspect

Alright!  Sorry for delay but just now getting a chance for exact measurements.

 

Thickness 0.75 inch mdf

Width 55 1/2 inch

Front height 11 5/8 inch

Rear height 9 7/8 inch

Top depth 12 7/8 inch

Bottom depth 14 1/2 inch

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Champion31337 said:

Alright!  Sorry for delay but just now getting a chance for exact measurements.

 

Thickness 0.75 inch mdf

Width 55 1/2 inch

Front height 11 5/8 inch

Rear height 9 7/8 inch

Top depth 12 7/8 inch

Bottom depth 14 1/2 inch

 

Did you measure it like I drew it on figure A? Or did you measure it like I did in figure B?

Figure B would make it easier to calculate the exact cubic feet (at least for me it would), unless you know for sure that is 3.5 cubic feet gross (before subwoofer displacement, before port displacement). Also, I'm sure @Joe Xwants to know exactly what you're working with. I wish i knew how to design an enclosure. I'm trying to learn lol932608381_Screenshot_20211230-214706_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.9dbb42ba49fed338d7770fdd75965621.jpg

Edited by Dafaseles

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Did you measure it like I drew it on figure A? Or did you measure it like I did in figure B?

Figure B would make it easier to calculate the exact cubic feet (at least for me it would), unless you know for sure that is 3.5 cubic feet gross (before subwoofer displacement, before port displacement). Also, I'm sure @Joe Xwants to know exactly what you're working with. I wish i knew how to design an enclosure. I'm trying to learn lol932608381_Screenshot_20211230-214706_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.9dbb42ba49fed338d7770fdd75965621.jpg

Figure A sir.

 

I can get figure B measurements for you no problem I just need to grab an extra ruler.

 

Let me do that.

  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Champion31337 said:

Alright!  Sorry for delay but just now getting a chance for exact measurements.

 

Thickness 0.75 inch mdf

Width 55 1/2 inch

Front height 11 5/8 inch

Rear height 9 7/8 inch

Top depth 12 7/8 inch

Bottom depth 14 1/2 inch

 

 

So with those dimensions you provide it came to 3.434986 cubic feet gross and if you take out the 0.4 from driver displacements you end up with 3.034986 cubic feet right before port displacement, the minimum port area would be a 7" round PVC pipe port. I did try to increase depth of your current design by 1.5" but it wasn't nearly enough.

 

So it is obviously not working like this leaving you in need for a seat lift kit or other equivalent method as the only chance to make things work. If you were to do this you should still need to determine your new working space to see if its good enough before buying anything.

 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Champion31337 said:

Alright!  Sorry for delay but just now getting a chance for exact measurements.

 

Thickness 0.75 inch mdf

Width 55 1/2 inch

Front height 11 5/8 inch

Rear height 9 7/8 inch

Top depth 12 7/8 inch

Bottom depth 14 1/2 inch

 

 

The following is not for building but to show you a possible alternative but it needs some more work, it increases depth by 2 inches but it will fit your space.

 

Specs are 3.11 cubic [email protected] 33.8Hz with 38.47 square inches of port area.

Round port is 7" diameter and 24 in length, 1 inch out.

 

box.png

 

Issues are the availability of 7" pipe (rare) and the elbow (very hard to find) , driver to port clearance and also it will be annoying to those sitting in the back, to avoid that a seat lift is what is needed. No bracing plan as of now. Have fun with it.

 

 

Edited by Joe X
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

You know way more about box design than I do. I just keep those pictures in my phone to show friends options that they have in putting a system in their vehicle. It's all for ideas really.

 

 

To be honest I was not being that serious about the ported design, just my impression at first look.  I'm sure the guy working on those is fully qualified to do the right job, customers of super expensive stuff can be rather unforgiving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Joe X said:

 

The following is not for building but to show you a possible alternative but it needs some more work, it increases depth by 2 inches but it will fit your space.

 

Specs are 3.11 cubic [email protected] 33.8Hz with 38.47 square inches of port area.

Round port is 7" diameter and 24 in length, 1 inch out.

 

box.png

 

Issues are the availability of 7" pipe (rare) and the elbow (very hard to find) , driver to port clearance and also it will be annoying to those sitting in the back, to avoid that a seat lift is what is needed. No bracing plan as of now. Have fun with it.

 

 

Huge thank you!  I actually already have a 2.5" seat lift.  I've actually thought of getting some thick washers to include lifting it maybe another 1/2 inch?

 

So you say this is what can be built right now with these measurement?  If you know where to get a 7" pipe and elbow shoot me the link.  That's gotta be like city sewage supplies or something lol that's big.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Champion31337 said:

Huge thank you!  I actually already have a 2.5" seat lift.  I've actually thought of getting some thick washers to include lifting it maybe another 1/2 inch?

 

So you say this is what can be built right now with these measurement?  If you know where to get a 7" pipe and elbow shoot me the link.  That's gotta be like city sewage supplies or something lol that's big.

 

If it can be a rectangle box a little taller it greatly benefits you, much simpler rebuild, you can do a slot port easily (no 7" PVC needed) and you can test your box with the port on either side.

 

But you need to be completely sure of the final space you will be having effectively after the seat lift.

 

8" PVC pipe is much more common as well as fittings for it so for now what I posted is just food for the thought, and for fun.

Edited by Joe X
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe X said:

 

To be honest I was not being that serious about the ported design, just my impression at first look.  I'm sure the guy working on those is fully qualified to do the right job, customers of super expensive stuff can be rather unforgiving.

I looked at it again after you said it was too short. If you look closely, that's not the end of the port. It's a brace. I thought it was the end of it too until I looked closer. 

And I hope you didn't think i was being sarcastic. I really am just trying to soak in all the information I can. I'd like to learn how to design boxes, but I can't get WinISD to work for me 🤣 I'm so computer illiterate it's not even funny

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 106 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...