Second Skin Audio

Can one tune a box to low?

Okay, so I had someone tell me that when building a box, you can tune it too low. Is this true? I was plugging in some numbers on a box I want to build, but I'm wanting it tuned really low, like 27hz or something. The box I have now is 36-37hz, and its just too high of tunning for the type of music I listen to and what not!
-tia

Of course you can tune lower but you will also need to check if there is another reason for you to be losing your low notes, like a subsonic filter set too high for example, low net volume on your box for the driver being used, lots of stuff.

If you can share some pics of your vehicle setup, box specs, driver being used, etc. we can see if there is something not right.

Just to add to what @Joe Xsaid, you can tune a box too low. Meaning, you can tune it so low that high output starts majorly lacking, and the port starts to get crazy long really messing with the output of every frequency. Though (depending on the subwoofer) 27 hz is low, but really not that low. No, I haven't seen too many people tune that low, but really, sound quality is only in the rear of the person listening to it. 

But, I'm with Joe, before you go building a new box that's tune that specifically low, maybe there's a different reason you're low notes are lacking. Maybe you don't want it tuned that low, and just a couple hz lower with a bigger box might do the trick. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Joe X said:

Of course you can tune lower but you will also need to check if there is another reason for you to be losing your low notes, like a subsonic filter set too high for example, low net volume on your box for the driver being used, lots of stuff.

If you can share some pics of your vehicle setup, box specs, driver being used, etc. we can see if there is something not right.

I have a audiopipe bdc3 right now, backed with a taramps hd3000. but I have a skar zvx 12 in the mail. I understand the amp i using isn't the best, but i've personally heard this amp play the lows I'm seeking. it was just with different sub and different box..

box.PNG

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Just to add to what @Joe Xsaid, you can tune a box too low. Meaning, you can tune it so low that high output starts majorly lacking, and the port starts to get crazy long really messing with the output of every frequency. Though (depending on the subwoofer) 27 hz is low, but really not that low. No, I haven't seen too many people tune that low, but really, sound quality is only in the rear of the person listening to it. 

But, I'm with Joe, before you go building a new box that's tune that specifically low, maybe there's a different reason you're low notes are lacking. Maybe you don't want it tuned that low, and just a couple hz lower with a bigger box might do the trick. 

image.png.8f7de5ded931804f653137c2dff28702.png

Too low is relative to an application.

If your needs are say.... Above 30hz, and you try to tune it to 27, it's a waste of space and output

If, however, you listen to low shit or need home theater type uses, then you could easily go into the low 20s/ high teens and utilize it.

It's been a bit since I've had a  system. But when I did, I'd usually do shit so I can tweak tuning. Either by shimming a port, or plugging up an aero or two. If I just wanted to be loud and kick my own chest, I'd leave the tuning around 33-35. But if I was in one of those moods where I wanted to listen to low shit, I'd drop it down to the mid 20s and let 20hz notes rip full tilt. Or down to about 15 at 55% volume. Usually I'd keep it low unless I wanted loud.

Last box also had a great quirk where when I had the tuning low, there was a response dip that aligned with the cabin peak, so when I was tuned low, I'd have a fairly level response from about 21-22 up to 55 or so where my LPF cut off. Was a great daily listener for anything and everything. But that's also install dependent and personal preference. YMMV.

Archived