So I’m running a 3k amp on stock electric right now. Am I harming the amp in doing so? Only have 4g wire going to the amp. Getting huge electric upgrades once I swap out my system but I wanted to push my single 12 I have harder in my car so I swapped my 1500w amp for one of the 3k amps I have 

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

So I’m running a 3k amp on stock electric right now. Am I harming the amp in doing so? Only have 4g wire going to the amp. Getting huge electric upgrades once I swap out my system but I wanted to push my single 12 I have harder in my car so I swapped my 1500w amp for one of the 3k amps I have 

That really depends on the stock electrical in the vehicle. But if I had to guess, I'd guess it's not sufficient. 

Of the voltage drops too much while your playing music, that can cause the amp to have to try harder to produce the power it wants to, ending up in it exceeding the electrical limits its been given, that causes clipping. 

So in short, yes, you can be damaging the amp and the subwoofer as well. 

Get a good voltage meter. Meter your voltage at the amplifier in real time, and if your voltage starts to drop dangerously low, back off the volume.

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

That really depends on the stock electrical in the vehicle. But if I had to guess, I'd guess it's not sufficient. 

Of the voltage drops too much while your playing music, that can cause the amp to have to try harder to produce the power it wants to, ending up in it exceeding the electrical limits its been given, that causes clipping. 

So in short, yes, you can be damaging the amp and the subwoofer as well. 

Get a good voltage meter. Meter your voltage at the amplifier in real time, and if your voltage starts to drop dangerously low, back off the volume.

Thanks dafaseles! Yeah I’ve watched my volt meter and it drops quit a bit when I play some rebassed music loudly 🤣🤣 

59 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Thanks dafaseles! Yeah I’ve watched my volt meter and it drops quit a bit when I play some rebassed music loudly 🤣🤣 

Just keep an eye on it. Don't let it get too low. You'll be fine until you get your upgraded electrical in. Just be careful

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived