Sonic Electronix

Looking for 1000W @ 1 ohm amp recommendations

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The alpine amp is internally fused with 2 25 amp fuses. So in the distribution block for that amp, me personally, I would use a 50 amp fuse. 

The manual for that B2 riot 1200 recommends a 100 amp fuse, so I would go with that as well. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I’ll likely be buying all this gear shortly, but not installing until it warms up (Ohio). I’m gonna spring for the XS D3400 battery. I’ve seen it recommended to get a smart charger for a AGM battery like that. The XS Intellicharger of course comes up. While money isn’t everything, are there any recommendations for a cheaper alternative, as the XS charger is $100. Is a smart charger really needed? This is a daily driven vehicle FWIW so it isn’t like it’ll be sitting for extended periods of time. Thanks for the input, I’m kinda new to the electrical upgrade side of the hobby. 

2 hours ago, ColumbusJBR said:

I’ll likely be buying all this gear shortly, but not installing until it warms up (Ohio). I’m gonna spring for the XS D3400 battery. I’ve seen it recommended to get a smart charger for a AGM battery like that. The XS Intellicharger of course comes up. While money isn’t everything, are there any recommendations for a cheaper alternative, as the XS charger is $100. Is a smart charger really needed? This is a daily driven vehicle FWIW so it isn’t like it’ll be sitting for extended periods of time. Thanks for the input, I’m kinda new to the electrical upgrade side of the hobby. 

If you're going to use a trickle charger, spring for the smart charger. It'll make sure, if you hook it up and forget about it, that it won't overcharge the battery. On top of that, what they'll usually do is, depending on how depleted the battery is, is charge in voltage increments, which is easier on the battery. 

Even with a daily driven car, sometimes it's a good idea to throw a trickle charger on there, just to refresh the battery, but think about it this way, how many modest systems are out there, and then think how many of those people use a trickle charger ever? The vast majority don't even know why they would need to. 

If you get one, get a smart trickle charger. But honestly, if the car isn't sitting for days, there's not a huge, absolute need for it. It'll just be for your piece of mind, and to help with the longevity of the battery. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, ColumbusJBR said:

Hey guys, long time, no post.

I’ve got some fantasy football $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. 

I currently have 2 Rockford P2D2 8s in the back of my Honda Ridgeline, in a ported box, running off an Alpine 500W @ 2 ohms amp (can’t recall the exact model). 

I’m considering doubling down and getting two more subs. I’d have to wire them to 1 ohm, so I’d be looking for a solid mono amp that does ~1000 RMS @ 1 ohm.  Thought I’d ask you all for recommendations. 

FWIW, given my space restrictions and sub specs (the box is under the rear seat) I’d have to ditch the ported box and build a new sealed one. I barely got away w/ enough space to have two ported. I certainly don’t have the room for 4 ported, but the specs say I’m solid for 4 sealed. Thoughts?

Also will certainly need new power wiring (0 gauge), distro block, maybe a battery, etc…. Just trying to nail down the amp for now

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Not sure if you will gain anything (at all) going from 2 ported to 4 sealed, quite frankly I'd upgrade the subs and keep 2 ported or try for 3 ported if feasible and then plan my amp upgrade based on that analysis.  Also much of your output comes from an efficient enclosure, if you have bad port area it's very much like running sealed.

If u wanna drive 2 Michigan we can drop that battery on the charger as soon as u get here

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

8 hours ago, Joe X said:

Not sure if you will gain anything (at all) going from 2 ported to 4 sealed, quite frankly I'd upgrade the subs and keep 2 ported or try for 3 ported if feasible and then plan my amp upgrade based on that analysis.  Also much of your output comes from an efficient enclosure, if you have bad port area it's very much like running sealed.

That’s a fair point that I hadn’t yet considered. Whether I can make that work or not I guess would depend on the upgraded subs space requirements. Cuz I’m maxed out for space as is. The current enclosure I built sounds good with the current subs, but beefier ones might require more volume that I don’t have. The box is under the rear seat, and it’s gotta stay. Kids car seats, etc…

man I sometimes miss the pre-kids days lol. I could do whatever the heck I wanted to my car without a care in the world! Times change I guess. 

thanks again (to all) for the suggestions. I’m still in the homework phase and appreciate the input. 

27 minutes ago, ColumbusJBR said:

That’s a fair point that I hadn’t yet considered. Whether I can make that work or not I guess would depend on the upgraded subs space requirements. Cuz I’m maxed out for space as is. The current enclosure I built sounds good with the current subs, but beefier ones might require more volume that I don’t have. The box is under the rear seat, and it’s gotta stay. Kids car seats, etc…

man I sometimes miss the pre-kids days lol. I could do whatever the heck I wanted to my car without a care in the world! Times change I guess. 

thanks again (to all) for the suggestions. I’m still in the homework phase and appreciate the input. 

I've got kids too. Had to take my system out to put the back seats back in my truck. Blow through is the only way to go. I understand though. No one wants to cut into their truck. I don't care though. I'd rather have a big system than be able to resell my truck 🤣 that's just me though

5 hours ago, ColumbusJBR said:

Everyone with those under seat enclosures come here with airspace stress, don't you worry too much, as an example the sa8v3 can work in 0.65 net and have a displacement of 0.08 (yours are 0.04) so not very different enclosure size.

Anyways, just trying to give you some perspective.

3 hours ago, Joe X said:

Everyone with those under seat enclosures come here with airspace stress, don't you worry too much, as an example the sa8v3 can work in 0.65 net and have a displacement of 0.08 (yours are 0.04) so not very different enclosure size.

Anyways, just trying to give you some perspective.

Definitely very intrigued by the new idea of staying w/ 2 ported 8’s, just upgrading subs and amp. For example, a pair of the DC Audio M3 8s in 4ohm DVC look like they’d pair well with a ~1000 - 1200W @ 1 ohm amp, which I’ve already been looking at anyway. Space requirements look similar to what I already have. And to be clear, it’s not like I WANT to get away from ported enclosure. I was just under the mindset that if I wanted to add more subs, I simply don’t have room for a proper ported box.   I’d have to measure and check mounting depths but I think I could even keep my existing box, which would be a small bonus. Wouldn’t kill me to build another box, but time is money these days…

Very interesting. I’ll contemplate more tomorrow once I’ve come down from my emotional high (My Bengals F’ing WON!!!).

Thanks guys

Archived