Sonic Electronix

Looking for 1000W @ 1 ohm amp recommendations

41 minutes ago, ColumbusJBR said:

Definitely very intrigued by the new idea of staying w/ 2 ported 8’s, just upgrading subs and amp. For example, a pair of the DC Audio M3 8s in 4ohm DVC look like they’d pair well with a ~1000 - 1200W @ 1 ohm amp, which I’ve already been looking at anyway. Space requirements look similar to what I already have. And to be clear, it’s not like I WANT to get away from ported enclosure. I was just under the mindset that if I wanted to add more subs, I simply don’t have room for a proper ported box.   I’d have to measure and check mounting depths but I think I could even keep my existing box, which would be a small bonus. Wouldn’t kill me to build another box, but time is money these days…

Very interesting. I’ll contemplate more tomorrow once I’ve come down from my emotional high (My Bengals F’ing WON!!!).

Thanks guys

You can even go bigger if you go with 2 8's.

The gately R 8's are 900 watts RMS 

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/gately-audio-relentless-8-subwoofer/

And the Resilient Sounds is 1000 watts rms

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/gold-8-1-000-rms-woofer/

Both call for a maximum 1 cubic foot for a ported enclosure. I don't know exactly how much room you have, but you could always raise your seat a little if you need too. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 2 months later...

Much delayed update:

I slowly pieced together the following gear over the last few months:

Up front: an XS Power D3400, along with their 1/0 Big 3 kit. No plans to do the alternator.  New 1/0 OFC for power, along w/ some Crutchfield distro blocks for the 2 amps power and ground. 

Subs: decided to stay w/ 2 ported 8s instead of going w/ 4 sealed. Bought 2 DC Audio M3s, 4 ohm DVC, wired to 1 ohm. Man, for 8 inch subs, they’re beefy. Rated for 600RMS ea.

New sub amp: B2 Audio Riot 1200. Puts out 1200RMS @ 1 ohm.

Not changing the Mids/Highs amp or speakers. They’re just fine. 

And I FINALLY sprung for the SMD DD1 to set the gains the right way. Been using the ol’ ear meter for too long, and spent too much money on this stuff to not set it up right. 

This morning we (me and Dad) did the new battery, big 3 upgrade, and began running the new power wire. It’s funny, I’m almost 40, but you’re never too old to wanna do a project with Dad. He’s recently retired and jumped at the chance to wrench on the truck with me. Not something I take for granted. Also, I now feel silly for waiting so long to do a big 3 upgrade. I was always intimidated by it for some reason, but it was pretty straightforward and didn’t cost much. Live and learn I guess. 

I might keep at it tonight once the kids are down, or not. But will definitely finish up tomorrow, since I need my truck functional for the work week. I’ll update again soon and try and post a few pics, although it’s nothing mind blowing.  I’ve got about $1500 all in on the new stuff so here’s hoping it’s at least a somewhat appreciable upgrade, but even if not, fuck it, it’s fun for me to play w/ the truck, especially w/ Pops. 

And I wanted to say thanks to the forum members that weighed in earlier; I always appreciate the advice.  

1 hour ago, ColumbusJBR said:

Much delayed update:

I slowly pieced together the following gear over the last few months:

Up front: an XS Power D3400, along with their 1/0 Big 3 kit. No plans to do the alternator.  New 1/0 OFC for power, along w/ some Crutchfield distro blocks for the 2 amps power and ground. 

Subs: decided to stay w/ 2 ported 8s instead of going w/ 4 sealed. Bought 2 DC Audio M3s, 4 ohm DVC, wired to 1 ohm. Man, for 8 inch subs, they’re beefy. Rated for 600RMS ea.

New sub amp: B2 Audio Riot 1200. Puts out 1200RMS @ 1 ohm.

Not changing the Mids/Highs amp or speakers. They’re just fine. 

And I FINALLY sprung for the SMD DD1 to set the gains the right way. Been using the ol’ ear meter for too long, and spent too much money on this stuff to not set it up right. 

This morning we (me and Dad) did the new battery, big 3 upgrade, and began running the new power wire. It’s funny, I’m almost 40, but you’re never too old to wanna do a project with Dad. He’s recently retired and jumped at the chance to wrench on the truck with me. Not something I take for granted. Also, I now feel silly for waiting so long to do a big 3 upgrade. I was always intimidated by it for some reason, but it was pretty straightforward and didn’t cost much. Live and learn I guess. 

I might keep at it tonight once the kids are down, or not. But will definitely finish up tomorrow, since I need my truck functional for the work week. I’ll update again soon and try and post a few pics, although it’s nothing mind blowing.  I’ve got about $1500 all in on the new stuff so here’s hoping it’s at least a somewhat appreciable upgrade, but even if not, fuck it, it’s fun for me to play w/ the truck, especially w/ Pops. 

And I wanted to say thanks to the forum members that weighed in earlier; I always appreciate the advice.  

Good for you. I hope everything works out for you. Lets us know how it ends up, what ya think, and show us some pics. Again, i hope everything goes well. 

Got everything installed over the weekend. Sorry, not many pics as there isn’t much to look at. The box is under the seat and the amps are hidden behind the rear of the seat. Plus the wiring is functional and safe, but not exactly tidy enough to show off lol. I’m glad nobody can see it. 

I’m glad I sprung for the XS battery and big 3. Not that I’m running crazy wattage, but the peace of mind is nice. I may clean up the positive terminal traffic jam later, I was limited on hardware and time.

And I’m very glad I sprung for the DD1. Man that made setup so easy. I was kinda shocked at how much cleaner my mids/highs sound now. I previously had the gain set way too high, yet they seem just as loud. Just cleaner. 

I’ve got the subs dialed down a bit for now to break in (if that’s really a thing?), but even dialed back they sound pretty good. 

if I remember I’ll update once I’ve got the subs cranked up. Thanks again for the advice! So far so good!

16680E33-348E-453D-8086-9E6D31C172FC.jpeg

F2BA72A6-4A21-4657-B8FE-357624B47ED9.jpeg

C6DF55E6-75A8-4131-9A14-F0012AF9AFDB.jpeg

On 3/26/2022 at 8:15 AM, stingray72 said:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but going 4 sealed vs 2 ported isnt going to get you louder.  (oh i see you stayed ported good)

Yep, I took the good advice of the forum members, which I’m very glad I did. After about a week I can report back that the DCs sound awesome. Even my wife, who doesn’t care about audio at all, was like “holy shit!”

Obvi we’re not doing hair tricks w/ 2 8s, which was never the goal, but for driving around and listening to tunes, they sound very, very good. Thanks again to the forum for the advice and guidance. 

Archived