Second Skin Audio

Help with Sub choice

Tjuggs21

11 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

The db drive subs are good and are actually priced very well IMO. If I had do it over again (for my previous set up), i would have still done the db drives. My car and set up have changed so I decided to go in a different direction subwoofer wise. If you do a search on this forum you'll see my Golf build log and my Yaris build log. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Thanks for all the info and I have read your build logs. Thanks for taking the time to document them.  

12 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

It's been my experience that high motor force subs (BL^2/RE) tend to do well in low tuned boxes without having a lame narrow response, or having a weird dropoff near tuning. Brute force ftw!

Oh and low resistance windings are great too. 0.5 or 0.3 ohm coils are my go-to if possible.

Might be a lot of disagreement on that one, but meh.

That was one thing I have been curious about was, does 4ohm to 1ohm subs of the same make and model make a difference in sound or is options on how you want to load your amp. 

Largely, it's down to ease of wiring.

But... I've noticed some differences in how well a coil dissipates heat, as well as minor variations in motor strength with changing winding gauge.

Lower resistance coils seem to tolerate heat a bit better, and offer more motor force than higher resistance ones.

My working theory for this is that lower resistance coils use a larger wire, which means fewer turns in the coil, which means less 'insulation' wound in it, benefitting both heat transfer and actual electrically conductive material in the gap.

If anyone doubts that, grab a dual 1.4 and a dual 0.35 coil sub, wire them both to 0.7, and pull t/s parameters.

Archived