Second Skin Audio

4th order through rear deck

Vincebfromkc

I have 2 Fi Neo 4.7 15s and I’m planning on doing a 4th order bandpass so I can port through the rear deck of my crown vic. I found picture somewhere and it’s almost exactly what I want to do, except I plan to make the port removable. 0E72F03D-FDB3-4711-A697-558CC9DD42B1.jpeg.982c238bd1d8a1053a69e33cbaa8db0b.jpeg
I’ve built a few enclosures, but I’ve always used manufacturers specs. I’ve been told by a few designers to use around 3-3.5 cubes for the sealed section, which if using 3 cubes I would be left with 6 available after displacements for the top chamber. Would this be sufficient? I’m also a little concerned with port area. Right now I can only get about 130 sq in due to the trunk torsion bars. Any advice? 

5 hours ago, Vincebfromkc said:

I have 2 Fi Neo 4.7 15s and I’m planning on doing a 4th order bandpass so I can port through the rear deck of my crown vic. I found picture somewhere and it’s almost exactly what I want to do, except I plan to make the port removable. 0E72F03D-FDB3-4711-A697-558CC9DD42B1.jpeg.982c238bd1d8a1053a69e33cbaa8db0b.jpeg
I’ve built a few enclosures, but I’ve always used manufacturers specs. I’ve been told by a few designers to use around 3-3.5 cubes for the sealed section, which if using 3 cubes I would be left with 6 available after displacements for the top chamber. Would this be sufficient? I’m also a little concerned with port area. Right now I can only get about 130 sq in due to the trunk torsion bars. Any advice? 

You can do the port wider as much as you are willing to cut your rear deck, some 160-180 square inches for the 3, 6@45Hz to get airspeeds 20, 18 m/s respectively.

7 hours ago, Joe X said:

You can do the port wider as much as you are willing to cut your rear deck, some 160-180 square inches for the 3, 6@45Hz to get airspeeds 20, 18 m/s respectively.

I can remove my deck speakers to go wider. If I add 5 inches width I’d have 29x6. I’ve been told with 4th/6th you want to keep your port ratio as close to 1:1 as possible. This would be about 1:4.5 but it would give me over 170 sq in of port. Do you think that would be alright?

It's best to have any port at 1:1 or better yet round, 1:4 to 1:5 is pretty low ratio and I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, same you can say that it's better for a port not to turn and it's better for a port to be short, all for efficiency reasons BUT if that is what you have to work with, then you work with that, if you see a chance to improve area or ratio take it of course.

19 minutes ago, Joe X said:

It's best to have any port at 1:1 or better yet round, 1:4 to 1:5 is pretty low ratio and I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, same you can say that it's better for a port not to turn and it's better for a port to be short, all for efficiency reasons BUT if that is what you have to work with, then you work with that, if you see a chance to improve area or ratio take it of course.

I’ll try that out and see how it goes. Thanks for the input!

Archived