Second Skin Audio

Box design to play loud and low

jessdabest77

I have a 2002 Chevy S10 Xtreme ext cab and equipment will be two older FI SP4 15’s V1 dual 2 ohm subwoofers on a 8 k amp. All the electrical will be upgraded plus all sound deadened. I really need help with the box design. I want to play loud and slam on the lows. Subs up, subs forward, port up , box size running? Any idea’s or suggestions greatly appreciated thanks  The space I have is 44 1/2” wide x 17” depth from back of seat to wall and 24” high but can go higher if needed thanks 

CBA851CD-2142-4DCD-8C93-68D269E3ED70.jpeg

ADBE795B-C058-4E9D-ABE5-C8281CF0D976.jpeg

I would probably do subs up port up. Talk with someone who designs boxes and they can set you up so you can build your box.

SOLD

2006 Ford Ranger Single Cab
2 DC XL 15's
2 Crescendo BC2k's
4th Order Blowthrough

CURRENT

2012 Dodge Charger R/T

2 Tantric HD 12's

Ampere 3800

2 XS XP 3000's

Do you compete?  port up, at times, can yield better mic performance. But ive seen port forward, on the driver side, when mic'd on the pass dash, do best also. (As far to the back driver side as possible).

Not competing, and just want some lows, and loud i may have went 12s, because your enclosure volume is going to be small, hell, (which will be hard to get a longer vent/port length) even if you wall it. Power doesn't really matter if your efficient about it. (Larger/proper enclosure) 

21 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Do you compete?  port up, at times, can yield better mic performance. But ive seen port forward, on the driver side, when mic'd on the pass dash, do best also. (As far to the back driver side as possible).

Not competing, and just want some lows, and loud i may have went 12s, because your enclosure volume is going to be small, hell, (which will be hard to get a longer vent/port length) even if you wall it. Power doesn't really matter if your efficient about it. (Larger/proper enclosure) 

what he said…

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:23 PM, jessdabest77 said:

I am not going to be competing just a loud daily on music. I had also thought about 12’s but have had these 15’s for years now and are brand new. I’m hoping I can make it work 

Posted a box for you that shows you what you can do with the space specified, it's tightly within Fi's specifications and your power but if your expectations are high you will need to give up more space and likely build a wall or a blow through to get the most out of those subs. The "wall" enclosure that tops sp4 box spec would be like this one but 37" high. subs/port forward.

Thanks Joe X I really like that design. I understand I have very little area to work with but hopefully with the right box and and tight power these subs should play loud and low. I was also thinking of an aero port instead of slot port but can not find anything bigger than an 8” round port. I remember seeing some 15’s in smaller boxes do pretty good so who knows but definitely thank you for your help 

Archived